流行美语 (Popular American) 285
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华结束了在中国的短期研究,返回美国,跟Larry一起在公园里散步。今天我们要学两个常用语:deal和let go.
LL: Wow, Lihua. Not only am I glad that you are back, I'm grateful 1 that we can spend some time together in this warm weather!
LH: 是啊,今天天气真是太好了。你看,对面快餐店门口的那个不是小燕吗?我们过去打个招呼吧!
LL: Ummmm. We can meet up with her later, but I'd rather stay here and talk with you.
LH: 怎么啦?你好象显得很不自在。
LL: Ok Lihua, it's best that we don't go over there. She's - well - it's best you don't know what her deal is, you know?
LH: Her deal? 你说小燕走私毒品?那怎么可能!
LL: 'The deal' refers to someone's situation, mental state, or attitude problem. So, it's best that you not know what happened with her. But I should tell you.
LH: 我知道了,the deal是说一个人有问题。Tell me what her deal is. 还有啊,你也得好好解释解释,What YOUR deal is! 这次回来,你好象老是遮遮掩掩的。
LL: I'm sorry, but here's the deal: She took me out several times for dinner, and I -
LH: 真的吗?你们俩人没有怎么样吧?
LL: Please let me finish. The deal is - she wanted to try to start dating, and I tried the most polite way possible to let her know what MY deal was - which was that I'm not interested, but -
LH: So THAT's the deal! 我真没想到小燕会做出这种事来!What's her deal? 你干嘛不早告诉我!
LL: Ok, so the deal is - I was hoping to avoid this whole situation - to avoid this whole deal - but it's best that you know now.
LH: 我确实不太高兴,但我相信你。我也很了解小燕,I know her deal.
LL:If only I had known 2, I could have avoided the whole deal altogether!
LH:算了,不说这些,我做了些三明治,还有茶,我们去野餐。
******
LH: 怎么样,我做的三明治好吃吗?
LL: Delicious, Lihua! Where did you learn to make these... during your time in China? Hahah!
LH: 别逗了,小燕那桩事,还是让我心烦意乱的。她毕竟是我的好朋友,如今,她一定是伤透了心。
LL: Don't worry. She just needs some time to let it go.
LH: let what go? 放手?你难道有什么东西在小燕那里吗?
LL: 'To let it go' means 3 to forgive and continue with your life after something bad happens. She is upset about what happened. After some time, she will let it go.
LH: 我明白了,let it go是忘记不愉快的事情,向前走的意思。你是说,只要待以时日,小燕就会把这段感情忘掉?你要知道,Larry, 心灵的伤痛可是很难愈合的。
LL: I agree, but everyone is different. Sometimes it takes a long time for people to let things go. And sometimes, people never let things go.
LH: 没错,很多人都有过类似的经历。
LL: I recall 4 the first time I was rejected for a job that I applied 5 for in college. It took me years before I could let it go!
LH: 还看不出来,你原来这么容易受到伤害。
LL: So, was there anything that took you a long time to let go?
LH: 那可能要算结束我的初恋了。
LL: Your first breakup? Who took longer to let it go? You or him?
LH: 当然是他了。说实话,我们两个本来就不是一路人。分手后,我的第一任男友整整给我打了一年的电话,希望能破镜重圆。He just recently let it go.
LL: Letting go can be the key to moving on with one's life. Sometimes people need to see a mental health specialist 6 to help overcome such a difficult thing.
LH: 看心理医生?有那么严重?对了,你要不要再加点茶?
LL: Ah, great. Thanks, Lihua! I won't let go.
LH: Let go? 你在说什么呀?
LL: Nothing. I mean I won't let go of the tea cup. It's very expensive! Haha!
LH: 你又闹!有时候,我真搞不懂你。正经事说到一半,你就开玩笑。一点没正经。
LL: You know that's not true. I think we should let it go.
LH: What??? Let WHAT go?
LL: This topic, of course!
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是deal, 意思是某个人的状况和问题。还有一个是let it go , 意思是忘记不愉快的往事,走出阴影。
- If you will help us, we shall be very grateful.如果你愿意帮助我们,我们会很感激你。
- He closed his letter with expression of grateful thanks.他在那封信的结尾表达了自己的感激之情。
- He is a known artist.他是一个知名的艺术家。
- He is known both as a painter and as a statesman.他是知名的画家及政治家。
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- As you may recall, he was in the army then.你可能记得当时他正在从军。
- We demand that you recall your army from our border.我们要求你们撤回在我们边境的部队。
- She plans to take a course in applied linguistics.她打算学习应用语言学课程。
- This cream is best applied to the face at night.这种乳霜最好晚上擦脸用。
- She is a specialist in English.她是一位英语专家。
- The peasants looked up to him as a specialist.农民们尊他为专家。