流行美语 (Popular American) 281
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
小燕下班后,跟Larry到一家爱尔兰酒吧去喝酒。今天我们要学两个常用语,一个是tough call, 一个是tone 1 it down.
(Sound of a bar and Irish music in the background)
LL: Wow, Xiaoyan, you must be exhausted 2. Did you work a full shift 3?
XY: 我今天连着当了两班,double Shift, 快累瘫了。好在这是纽约,能赚不少小费。
LL: So let's eat and drink, shall we? Here's the menu.
XY: 好啊,我饿极了。你觉得点点儿什么好?
LL: It's a tough call, Xiaoyan. There are a lot of great choices, so it's difficult to say that one in particular is the best.
XY: 这有什么好难的!我告诉你什么叫难吧,我的日子才叫难呢!
LL: You know? You are different than Li Hua when you don't understand something. She's so sweet...and you're...
XY: 我怎么样?你是不是觉得我太张扬,不够温柔?我跟李华可不一样。(语气中带有一丝嫉妒)
LL: 'A tough call' is a difficult decision to make, especially when there are so many choices or when something is not clear. For example, choosing the best meal on this menu is a tough call, because so many choices are good!
XY: 我知道了,tough call是说很难选择。你是说菜单上很多东西好像都不错,所以很难决定,it's a tough call. 你看,这还有这么多种啤酒,我真不知道该点哪种。It's a tough call too.
LL: Not for me! Excuse me, waiter, I'll have a Guinness please. Make that two Guinnesses, because my friend here is battling a tough call on what beer to order. So have you had to make any other tough calls in your life recently, Xiaoyan?
XY: 有啊。我正拿不定主意,不知道该回去读书,还是再在金龙干一年,多赚点钱。It's really a tough call!
LL: Yeah, especially since you live in New York, where there are lots of opportunities, yet high costs of living. Ah, here come our beers!
XY: 来,让我们为年轻和机会干杯。
*******
LL: The beers are good! How do you like your food, Xiaoyan? Is it better than Golden Dragon's food?
XY: Ha! That's not a tough call at all. 金龙的菜是最好的!
(Cut off due to blaring music音乐声音放大)
LL: (Shouting over the music)Wow that's loud! I wish they'd tone it down!
XY: 什么? Tone it down? 你是想说 turn it down 吧。
LL: Just a minute. (to the waiter) Hey, could you turn down the music, please? We're trying to have a conversation, and we can't hear each other's voices. Thanks!
(音乐声音变小)
XY: Larry, tone it down和turn it down的区别到底在哪里啊?
LL: Well, 'turn it down' means to reduce the noise level of things like music and overall 4 voice level. 'Tone it down' means to cool the overall tone or attitude that someone or someplace has.
XY: 我有点明白了。Turn it down是降低音量。Tone it down是降低声调、语气、改善态度、变得更为和缓的意思。Tone it down能用来指行动吗?比如说,我想请你吃饭,因为我觉得你...
LL: Oh my, Xiaoyan. I think you DO need to tone it down. Perhaps you've had too many beers, haha!
XY: 那其他情况呢?比如说生活习惯和穿着打扮,can we use 'tone it down' for that, too?
LL: Yes. If people are acting 5 out of control, or if they are wearing obnoxious 6 clothing to a formal party, then they need to tone it down.
XY: (生气地) 你是说我的穿着、举止不得体吗?
LL: Hey, Xiaoyan, tone it down. There's no reason to get excited and upset at me. I don't mean YOU specifically 7. I'm talking about a situation in general.
XY: 那好,这次原谅你。啊,你看那个男的,怎么穿了一件粉红色的外衣,太离谱了。Now, HE needs to tone it down. 不好,他好像冲我们走过来了。
LL: It's your lucky day, Xiaoyan. He's coming over here to buy you a drink!
XY: 不好,三十六计走为上!我们赶快买单吧。
LL: Absolutely. Check please!
我们今天学习了两个常用语。一个是tough call, 意思上很难做的选择。另一个是tone it down, 是指降低语音、语调,让举止、态度变得更加和缓的意思。
- There was a tone of mockery in his voice.他说话的语气含有嘲笑的意味。
- Holmes used an informal,chatty tone in his essays.霍姆斯在文章中语气轻松随便。
- It was a long haul home and we arrived exhausted.搬运回家的这段路程特别长,到家时我们已筋疲力尽。
- Jenny was exhausted by the hustle of city life.珍妮被城市生活的忙乱弄得筋疲力尽。
- Lend me a hand to shift this box,will you?来帮一下忙,把这箱子搬开,好吗?
- A sudden shift in the wind warned of the coming storm.风向的突然改变预示暴风雨来临。
- The shop assistant was wearing a white overall.那店员穿着白色的工作服。
- How much will it cost overall?一共多少钱?
- Ignore her,she's just acting.别理她,她只是假装的。
- During the seventies,her acting career was in eclipse.在七十年代,她的表演生涯黯然失色。
- These fires produce really obnoxious fumes and smoke.这些火炉冒出来的烟气确实很难闻。
- He is the most obnoxious man I know.他是我认识的最可憎的人。
- The book was written specifically for children.这本书是特地为儿童编写的。
- I told you specifically not to do that.我明确地告诉你不要那样做。