流行美语 (Popular American) 316
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry下班后,跟李华一起去喝咖啡。今天我们要学两个常用语:brutal 1和rager.
LH: Larry, 怎么样,今天上班忙不忙?
LL: Oh it was way brutal.
LH: Brutal? Brutal 不是粗暴、残忍的意思吗?
LL: Here it means harsh. You know, like a hassle. It was way brutal.
LH: 噢,你说今天上班was way brutal 就是特别麻烦,不顺的意思。你说具体点儿,In what way was it brutal?
LL: Well for one thing, the coffee machine in my office was broken, so that was lame 2.
LH: 咖啡壶坏了顶多也就是不方便,也谈不上brutal啊。
LL: Well on top of that they were doing some sort of maintenance in the hall, so all day there was this high pitched drilling noise. I have a pounding headache.
LH: 一整天都有人在楼道里修房子,那可是够吵的。It IS brutal!
LL: Yeah it was totally brutal.
LH: 我这两天正在申请一家大公司的实习机会。Let me tell you, it's so brutal.
LL: How is it brutal, Li Hua?
LH: 这家公司要我证明身份,结果害得我跑了四趟大使馆,腿都跑细了。
LL: Woah, brutal. Are you at least done with the application process now?
LH: I wish! 我现在还要到学校的工作许可办公室去开证明,最后还不知道到底是不是能拿到这个实习的位置。
LL: Is it paid?
LH: 没有,是没有报酬的那种实习。
LL: Brutal. I did an unpaid 3 internship 4 once. It was alright though.
LH: 申请实习的手续麻烦点儿也就算了,我现在唯一的希望是,真开始实习了,工作上不要更加brutal。
******
李华第二天中午兴高彩烈地打电话给Larry。
LL: Hello? This is Larry London speaking.
LH: Larry?
LL: Hi Li Hua, how's it going?
LH: 告诉你一个好消息,我拿到那个实习的机会了。
LL: That's great Li Hua!
LH: 公司人事部门打电话通知我,我简直高兴死了。
LL: We have to celebrate, we should throw a rager.
LH: Rager,那是什么?听起来好象挺可怕的。
LL: No, a rager means a huge party. A raging party.
LH: 哦,我知道了,a rager就是一个特别疯狂的派对。好啊,我同意,咱们把朋友都叫来,开个rager.
LL: My friend Jack 5 the DJ has been looking to find some more work. I'm sure he'd be willing to set up his turntables at our rager.
LH: 你是说你那个做职业DJ的朋友Jack吗?太棒了,要真能把他找来,It is bound to be a killer 6 rager.
LL: I think it should be pretty good. We can have it at my place.
LH: 在你那儿开?你可想好了,那些人一定会把你家搞得一团糟。
LL: Eh, it's fine. I don't have anything nice that can be damaged anyhow.
LH: 你在家大吵大闹地开派对,邻居会不会有意见?
LL: Probably not, there are a lot of young people around here anyhow. I feel like somebody is always throwing a rager on this street.
LH: 太好了,那你说,咱们都请谁?
LL: Well you should tell friends in your classes, and I'll send out a Facebook invitation. Oh, When will we hold our rager?
LH: 这个星期五晚上怎么样?
LL: Mmm, this Friday isn't good. I told my friend Kevin I'd help him fix the bike. How about Saturday?
LH: 星期六好。星期六大家精神头更足。
LL: Exactly, you want people to be high energy if you are going to throw a rager. Do you think a lot of people will come?
LH: 那还用说,I think it will be a huge rager. 你说咱们的派对应该几点开始?
LL: We can say nine o'clock and no one will likely show up until 10:30 at the earliest.
LH: 十点半?那么晚啊?
LL: That tends to be how it goes.
LH: 好,就听你的,拿到这个实习的机会,我真是高兴死了。
LL: Congratulations! You earned it.
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是brutal意思是很糟糕,很麻烦。另一个是rager指特别疯狂、特别热闹的派对。
- She has to face the brutal reality.她不得不去面对冷酷的现实。
- They're brutal people behind their civilised veneer.他们表面上温文有礼,骨子里却是野蛮残忍。
- The lame man needs a stick when he walks.那跛脚男子走路时需借助拐棍。
- I don't believe his story.It'sounds a bit lame.我不信他讲的那一套。他的话听起来有些靠不住。
- Doctors work excessive unpaid overtime.医生过度加班却无报酬。
- He's doing a month's unpaid work experience with an engineering firm.他正在一家工程公司无偿工作一个月以获得工作经验。
- an internship at a television station 在电视台的实习期
- a summer internship with a small stipend 薪水微薄的暑期实习
- I am looking for the headphone jack.我正在找寻头戴式耳机插孔。
- He lifted the car with a jack to change the flat tyre.他用千斤顶把车顶起来换下瘪轮胎。