流行美语 (Popular American) 315
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华跟Larry一起去吃晚饭。今天我们要学两个常用语: squared away和temporary fix.
LH: Larry, 怎么样,今天上班忙不忙?
LL: Oh it was a bit stressful. I had a relatively 1 large report due that I was too busy to start until the last minute, but it looks like I got it all squared away.
LH: Squared away? 你是说虽然等到最后一分钟,但还是赶出来了?
LL: Yes, Li Hua, squared away means I took care of it, or finished the job.
LH: 太好了,那你现在可以好好放松一下了?
LL: Yeah. Now I just feel relieved 2 to have gotten the report squared away.
LH: 那份报告是关于什么的?
LL: It was just about the logistics of a new advertising 3 campaign that ships out next week. It wasn't too hard, just tedious 4, but now it is all squared away.
LH: 我明白你的感受,处理掉手头的一件大事,肯定是如释重负。
LL: Exactly. It's hard to relax with a report hanging over your head.
LH: 没错。我经济选修课的期中论文上星期交,老师规定要写二十页,而且还要进行很多复杂的数据分析。
LL: How did it turn out?
LH: 我在学校电脑房里整整泡了两天,I finally got it all squared away. 总算是搞定了,竟然还提前了一天。
LL: That's excellent.
LH: 可我一点也不敢放松,这篇论文写完了,可还有另外三篇等着我呢!
LL: Well, at least you got one squared away.
LH: 那倒也是。你完成了这份报告,是不是可以喘口气了?
LL: Well now that I've got that report all squared away, I'm pretty much in the clear. I guess I will wait until they give me a new assignment.
LH: 真羡慕你,可惜我还有三篇论文要写,不然我们周末可以去秋游。
LL: I wouldn't worry too much Li Hua, I'm sure you'll get all of your papers squared away in no time.
LH: I know, I just wish that they were already squared away and I didn't have to deal with them. 好,酒足饭饱,我又得去泡图书馆了。
******
李华 Larry第二天下午一起去喝咖啡。
LL: How'd the paper writing go?
LH: 别提了,论文倒是写完了一篇,可是电脑房里的打印机坏了,我又没带USB, 所以只好把文章寄到我自己的电子信箱里。
LL: That's a good temporary fix.
LH: A temporary what?
LL: Temporary Fix it means a good short term solution for a problem. In this case, emailing the paper to yourself is a good fix until you can print the paper.
LH: 噢,temporary fix就是临时解决办法。我一看打印机坏了,差点儿没得心脏病,还好灵机一动,把论文寄给了自己。
LL: It's good that you found that temporary fix then!
LH: 可不是吗,要不然,我还真是不知道要怎么办了。
LL: The other day at work we had to come up with a temporary fix because our usual print-shop was closed for vacation, and the one we hired instead completely botched the job.
LH: 怎么回事?不会是把你们的广告印刷品都印坏了吧?
LL: Well the whole thing came out backwards 5 and none of the words went with the pictures, plus we had a client 6 coming in only an hour afterwards.
LH: 那你们最后是怎么办的?
LL: Ultimately 7 we just cut the words out of each picture and switched them with scissors and glue. It held together through the meeting. It didn't look perfect but at least it was a temporary fix.
LH: 客户有没有看出什么破绽?
LL: I think we made an alright impression on the client. I'm not sure that they noticed that anything was wrong.
LH: That's great.
LL: Yeah, what about you, how did your paper turn out?
LH: 最后我还是在导师的办公室里把论文印出来的。
LL: So your temporary fix was successful.
LH: 没错,我现在只剩一篇论文就万事大吉了!
LL: Well, you're almost there.
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是squared away 意思是处理完了。另一个是temporary fix意思是临时的解决办法。
- The rabbit is a relatively recent introduction in Australia.兔子是相对较新引入澳大利亚的物种。
- The operation was relatively painless.手术相对来说不痛。
- You'll be relieved to know your jobs are safe. 现在知道你们的工作保住了,可以放心了。
- Your coming relieved me of the bother of writing a long letter. 你来了,省去我写长信的麻烦了。
- Can you give me any advice on getting into advertising? 你能指点我如何涉足广告业吗?
- The advertising campaign is aimed primarily at young people. 这个广告宣传运动主要是针对年轻人的。
- The tedious job simply ate me up.那单调乏味的工作简直把我烦死了。
- He was not used to the tedious of life in a small country town.他不适应这种乡村小镇的单调生活。
- He turned on the light and began to pace backwards and forwards.他打开电灯并开始走来走去。
- All the girls fell over backwards to get the party ready.姑娘们迫不及待地为聚会做准备。
- She can't come to the telephone;she's serving a client.她不能来接电话,她正在接待一位顾客。
- The lawyer produced a clever defence of his client.律师机智地为委托人辩护。
- It was a demeaning and ultimately frustrating experience.那是一次有失颜面并且令人沮丧至极的经历。
- Vitamin C deficiency can ultimately lead to scurvy.缺乏维生素C最终能道致坏血病。