流行美语 (Popular American) 314
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry来找李华玩。今天我们要学两个常用语: the ball is in your court和happy hour.
LL: Hi Lihua, How's it going?
LH: 还不错,就是特别忙,一整天都在寄简历找工作。
LL: Oh yeah? How's that going?
LH: 挺烦的,不过今天终于有公司给我回电话了。
LL: That's great Li Hua, what did they say?
LH: 我当时正在上课,所以没接到,听的也是留言。
LL: Ah, it sounds like the ball is in your court now.
LH: 找工作可不是闹着玩的,什么球不球的。
LL: No, Li Hua, the ball is in your court means that it's your responsibility now to call them back.
LH: 哦,原来你是这个意思,那倒没错,the ball is in my court. 不过我心里特紧张,又想要这份工作,又害怕打电话。
LL: Why is that Lihua?
LH: 我不知道拿起电话来要怎么说。
LL: Well the important thing is to research the company before calling and remember what position you applied 1 for.
LH: 好主意,打电话之前先要了解一下这家公司的情况。
LL: Well, the ball's in your court, so you can call them back when you feel comfortable. At least now they aren't catching 2 you off guard.
LH: 这倒是真的,我可以做好充分准备后,再给他们回电话。不说我了,你最近工作还顺心吗?
LL: Well the boss just told me that a large client 3 just dropped their old advertising 4 agency 5, so they might go with us. Now the ball's in my court to come up with a good proposal 6 and win them over.
LH: 太好了,你又有表现的机会了,一定要写好这个广告创意,把这个大客户争取过来。
LL: It sure is a good opportunity, but to be honest I'm pretty nervous about this. It's the first time I've gotten this much responsibility.
LH: 你一定没问题。
LL: Thanks Lihua.
LH: 对了,那家公司是做什么生意的?
LL: It's an ad for sneakers. Their sales have been down lately.
******
李华给Larry打电话,问他下班后要不要一起去酒吧。
(Ring...)
LL: Hello, Larry London speaking.
LH: Hi Larry!
LL: Oh hi Lihua, how's it going?
LH: 没什么事。就是想问你下班后要不要一起去喝点东西。
LL: You mean go to happy hour together?
LH: Happy? 跟你出去,我当然高兴了。
LL: Right, but happy hour means the hour after work when people often go out for a drink or some snacks.Usually the bar or restaurant will have some sort of discount.
LH: 哦,原来happy hour是说同事下班后一起去酒吧喝酒,而且酒吧为了促销,这段时间酒水往往比一般价格便宜。我以前好象听过这种说法。
LL: Yes, it is a pretty common phrase.
LH: 那你到底要不要跟我一起去happy hour呢?
LL: Sounds good to me.
LH: 我们去哪儿Happy hour?
LL: Wherever you want is fine with me.
LH: 我去找你怎么样?你公司附近有什么可以去happy hour的酒吧吗?
LL: There are a few places that have a happy hour, and that would be very convenient for me.
LH: 那好,一言为定。你几点钟下班?
LL: Well I get out of work at five. We can go to the place across the street where they have a happy hour. Does that sound alright to you?
LH: 没问题,那我们就在酒吧里见!
LL: Excellent. I will see you for happy hour.
LH: 我今天有重要的事情告诉你。
LL: Important news? What sort of news?
LH: 天机不可泄露。You will just have to wait until we meet at the happy hour.
LL: Oh come on, you can't call me up and tell me you have news and then leave me hanging all afternoon. We're not meeting for a happy hour until 5:00, that's a long time from now.
LH: 哈哈,我就是要调调你的胃口。
LL: It's cruel! What about the topic at least?
LH: 跟我有关。
LL: You and ....?
LH: 跟我和学校有关,我只能告诉你这么多了。
LL: Ok, that's fine. I'll see you for happy hour at five?
LH: See you then!
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是the ball is in your court意思是现在该你采取行动了。另一个是happy hour意思是酒吧傍晚前后的减价时段,同事朋友可以一起去喝东西。
- She plans to take a course in applied linguistics.她打算学习应用语言学课程。
- This cream is best applied to the face at night.这种乳霜最好晚上擦脸用。
- There are those who think eczema is catching.有人就是认为湿疹会传染。
- Enthusiasm is very catching.热情非常富有感染力。
- She can't come to the telephone;she's serving a client.她不能来接电话,她正在接待一位顾客。
- The lawyer produced a clever defence of his client.律师机智地为委托人辩护。
- Can you give me any advice on getting into advertising? 你能指点我如何涉足广告业吗?
- The advertising campaign is aimed primarily at young people. 这个广告宣传运动主要是针对年轻人的。
- This disease is spread through the agency of insects.这种疾病是通过昆虫媒介传播的。
- He spoke in the person of Xinhua News Agency.他代表新华社讲话。