流行美語 第236課
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华和Larry看了一场电影刚回到Larry的公寓。李华今天会学会两个常用语Dullsville和Coolsville。
LL: Wow, Li Hua, that movie was totally 1 dullsville. I can't believe we stayed and watched the whole thing.
LH: Dullsville? 这个电影的确没意思,It WAS really boring, 可是你为什么不说boring而是说Dullsville?
LL: Well, you know, Li Hua, many small towns in America end in "ville."
LH: 是啊,美国的许多小城镇都叫什么什么"ville" ,比如Coopersville and Andersonville.
LL: So, when I said the movie was "dullsville," I was suggesting 2 the movie was so boring, it was like living in the town of dull.
LH: 我知道了, "dullsville"的意思是说,电影很没意思,就像是住在一个很枯燥的地方。
LL: Right. And that movie was totally dullsville, especially for a comedy 3. I don't think I even laughed once.
LH: 真的啊?你看这部喜剧片的时候一次都没有笑?不会吧。这部电影不是很好,可也没那么差。Larry,我们学校的一些教授,他们讲课才是真正的dullsville.
LL: Yeah, I remember back in college being 4 in some really dullsville classes. Sometimes they were so boring I'd fall asleep.
LH: 不光是你,不少学生都会因为教授讲课乏味而打瞌睡。Larry,你上班的时候打瞌睡吗?Is your work dullsville?
LL: No, actually we've been very busy with several important projects. There are times I wish it WAS dullsville at work.
LH: 要完成好几个重要的项目,哪当然有功夫打瞌睡了。我教中文倒是蛮有意思,可是周末就很无聊。My weekends are dullsville.
LL: I know what you mean. My weekends have been dullsville, too. I usually clean my apartment, go grocery 5 shopping, and maybe wash my car. Not too exciting.
LH: 我也是,周末就是打扫房间,买吃的、洗车、真单调。Larry,我们得想点什么有趣的事,改善一下周末的生活。
LL: Hmmm。Let me think of how we can get out of dullsville.
******
LL: I've got it, Li Hua! We'll go to an amusement park next weekend. There is one not too far away that is totally coolsville!
LH: 我们下个周末去游乐园?好啊。那这次你就不用解释了,我知道Coolsville的意思就是说那个地方一切都很棒,很有意思。对不对?
LL: That's right. And this amusement park really is coolsville. We won't be bored there.
LH: 那这个游乐园里有什么特别好玩的呢?
LL: The park has three huge roller 6 coasters. One of them goes upside 7 down! Now that ride is coolsville.
LH: 游乐园里有三个过山车, 还有一个是头朝下的。可我不喜欢坐过山车,the ride doesn't sound so coolsville to me.
LL: You don't like roller coasters? Well, what do you think is coolsville, Li Hua?
LH: 我觉得自然博物馆很有意思。
LL: Really? Why do you think the natural history museum is coolsville? I guess I think it is more like dullsville.
LH: 自然博物馆怎么会令人厌倦呢? 你看过那里的恐龙化石吗?多有意思啊。
LL: Well, now that you mention it, my little seven-year old cousin Amy thinks dinosaurs 8 are coolsville, too.
LH: 你七岁的表妹Amy也喜欢恐龙化石?那下个周末,你去游乐园,我带Amy去自然博物馆,怎么样?
LL: That would be coolsville! What a great idea.
LH: 你去享受过山车,我们去观赏恐龙化石。两全齐美,Everything will be coolsville.
LL: Except for one thing.
LH: 除了一件事以外?什么事?
LL: Wouldn't it be more coolsville if we could do something together?
LH: 你说的对,两个人一起才有意思。那我跟你去游乐园,以后我们再去自然博物馆。
LL: Coolsville.
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是dullsville,意思是枯燥乏味,令人厌倦。还有一个是coolsville,意思是很好,很有意思。
- I think that what he's suggesting is not humanly possible. 我认为他的建议非人力可及。
- That all great art has this power of suggesting a world beyond is undeniable. 不可否认,一切伟大的艺术都具有使人有超尘脱俗的浮想的力量。
- Can you explain to me the purpose of being?你能对我解释一下存在的目的吗?
- What is the purpose of our being?我们生存的目的是什么?
- There used to be a grocery store on the corner.以前在这个街角有家杂货店。
- Her mother began operation of a small grocery.她母亲开始经营一家小杂货店。
- A steam roller is used in making and repairing roads.蒸汽压路机用来修筑道路。
- Large door with front roller is to load easily.具有较大的门并附有向前伸出的滚筒有利于桶的装载。
- The children hung the picture upside down.小孩把画挂倒了。
- If you turn the envelope upside down, the key will fall out.你如果把信封倒过来,钥匙就会掉出。