美国之音《流行美语》 360
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华一起去参观艺术博物馆。他们会用到两个常用语:Overkill和write something off.
LH: Larry, 听我的对了吧。逛艺术博物馆比看电影强多了!
L: Well I agree. But the art museum would be even better if it served popcorn 1 too!
LH: 这倒也是,要是博物馆里也卖爆米花、热狗、啤酒,边逛边吃,那该有多舒服啊!
L: Hot dogs and beer? I don't know, Lihua. I think that might be overkill.
LH: Overkill是什么意思?
L: When you think that an idea goes too far, you can say that it is overkill.
LH: 哦,overkill就是过份的想法或行为。你是说,在博物馆里卖爆米花似乎还不错,可如果连热狗和啤酒都一起卖就太夸张了。
L: That's right! Here is another example. Elliot's boss thought about firing him for being an hour late to work, but then decided 2 that would be overkill.
LH: 哦,Elliot迟到了一个小时,老板本来想因为这个而炒他的鱿鱼,不过后来觉得,这么做太过份了。对了,Larry, 博物馆这么好,我们天天来这里逛如何?
L: Lihua, I really enjoy the art gallery, but coming here every single day would definitely 3 be overkill.
LH: 什么过份,你真没有艺术细胞! 我的艺术气质比你浓多了,我看,我干脆去读个艺术史的博士好了!
L: Lihua, it's fine to enjoy art as a hobby, but I think getting a PhD in art history would really be overkill.
LH: 呵呵,我开玩笑的。对了Larry, 你还记得上次咱们去华盛顿看兵马俑展览么?
L: I sure do! That was one of my favorites.
LH: 就是,多好看啊。可惜展出的只是一部分,要是所有兵马俑都到美国来展览就好了!
L; I don't know ... I was satisfied seeing just a few. I think bringing the entire collection here would be overkill.
LH: 才不会呢! 要看就得看全的!那个气势,肯定不一样! 我给你买张机票,你去中国看吧!
L: Lihua, it's nice that you're encouraging me to see the Teracotta Warriors 4, but buying me a plane ticket to China is definitely overkill!
******
LH: Larry, 你喜欢什么流派的艺术啊?现实主义还是抽象主义?
L: I definitely prefer the realistic kind. Anybody can make abstract 5 art!
LH: 人人都能创作抽象派艺术作品?那好,你创作一个给我看看!
L: Er ... I guess you're right. I shouldn't write off abstract artists so quickly.
LH: Write them off? 这是什么意思?
L: When you write something off, that means you decide that it isn't important.
LH: 哦,就是小看,不看好的意思。你是说,你不该小瞧抽象派艺术家。
L: Right! Here is another example. In high school most people had written Jack 6 off as an actor, so they were really surprised when he became a movie star years later.
LH: 我明白了。高中时大家都觉得Jack肯定当不了演员,可后来他成了电影明星,所以大家都很吃惊。
L: That's right!
LH: 对了Larry, 你说这些艺术品的创作者一定都很有钱吧?他们的作品都卖得好贵哦!
L: Actually I don't think so. Many great artists were written off in their own time, and people only started to appreciate them many years later.
LH: 也是,好多艺术家在世的时候不被世人重视,总是死了之后才得到人们的认可,真可惜!哎, Larry, 你喜不喜欢画画?
L: I thought of being an artist when I was a little kid, but I wrote that dream off a long time ago when I realized I was bad at drawing.
LH: 哦,你发现自己画画不行,就放弃了当画家的梦想。
L: Yeah, but I still like to draw as a hobby. Even though I can't be a professional artist, giving it up even as a hobby would have been overkill.
LH: 要不这样吧,Larry, 把你最近画的大作拿来,跟我五岁时画的儿童简笔画比比,看看你有没有达到我五岁时的水平?
L: Very funny, Lihua. I'll write that off as a joke!
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是overkill,表示过份的想法或行为。另一是write something off, 意思是“小看,不看好”。
- I like to eat popcorn when I am watching TV play at home.当我在家观看电视剧时,喜欢吃爆米花。
- He still stood behind his cash register stuffing his mouth with popcorn.他仍站在收银机后,嘴里塞满了爆米花。
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
- The team will definitely lose if he doesn't play.如果他不参加比赛,这个队肯定会输。
- I shall definitely be home before six o'clock.6点以前,我一定回家。
- I like reading the stories ofancient warriors. 我喜欢读有关古代武士的故事。
- The warriors speared the man to death. 武士们把那个男子戳死了。
- He is an abstract painter.他是一个抽象派画家。
- He made an abstract of a long article.他对一篇长文章做了摘要。