美国之音《流行美语》 351
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华和Larry正在一起看世界杯美国对斯洛文尼亚的比赛。今天我们要学两个常用语:push over和blow it.
LH: Larry, 美国队的第二场比赛就要开始了,我真等不及啦!
L: Yeah, I'm really excited too! Hopefully the U.S. will have good luck again today playing Slovenia.
LH: 对! 美国队上次和英格兰踢的时候就是因为运气好捞到了一个进球! 不过,斯洛文尼亚不是什么强队,美国队这次不靠运气,靠实力,踢赢也不成问题吧?
L: I don't know ... Slovenia is playing very well. They're not going to be a push-over.
LH: 啊?什么是a push-over?
L: A push-over is someone who is very easy to take advantage of.
LH: 哦,a push-over就是容易控制、好欺负的人。你的意思是,斯洛文尼亚可不是那么容易对付的,是不是?
L: Exactly! Here's another example. Even though Joe always turned in his homework late, he never got in trouble because his teacher was a real push-over.
LH: 嗯, Joe的老师好欺负,所以他不交作业也没事。
L: Exactly. So Lihua, how did you get out of work today to watch the World Cup?
LH: 因为我老板喜欢我啊,只要我央求一下,她什么都答应我!
L: Hmm ... she sounds like a real push-over. I wish my boss 1 always gave me everything I asked for.
LH: 下次我教你讨上司喜欢的秘诀!对了,看完比赛我还要去公司,你开车送我吧。
L: Well I'm pretty busy this afternoon. Can you take the bus?
LH: 那可不行,大热天的我还得等车,不干不干!
L: Eh ... alright, I'll give you a ride. You know that I'm such a push-over. But why didn't you ride your bike today?
LH: 别提了,我的车坏了!我把它拿到修车厂,结果他们开出的修理费简直是天文数字!我可不上当,扭头就走了!
L: Well, I can see you're definitely 2 not a push-over, Lihua.
LH: 那可不!如果别人想占你便宜,你就得自我保护!好了,不说了,比赛要开始了!
L: Great, let's watch!
******
比赛结束了,Larry和李华还是回味无穷。
LH: 这比赛真是峰回路转!美国开始的时候0比2落后,结果居然又追回两球,打成平局了!
L: Yeah, but the U.S. should have won!
LH: 就是,最后一个球,美国队明明进了,裁判却吹犯规,误判误判!
L: I know, I can't believe that the referee 3 blew that call.
LH: The referee blew the call? 什么意思?
L: Actually, when you make a really big mistake, you can say that you blew it.
LH: 啊,blow something就是说犯大错误,把事情搞砸。所以你是说,裁判把美国队的进球判成无效,是很严重的误判。
L: Right! Here is another example. Joe wanted to impress 4 Carol 5 on their first date. But he really blew it because she was a vegetarian 6 and he took her to a steak 7 restaurant.
LH: 啊?带吃素的人去牛排店,这不是满错了么!对了,Larry, 美国队下一场踢阿尔及利亚,你说胜算有几成?
L: Well, most people think that the U.S. is a better team. We should win as long as we don't make a big mistake and blow it.
LH: 太好了!比赛星期三,咱们一起看!
L: Well I would really like to ... but I have a big presentation 8 on Thursday that I will need to prepare for, and I really don't want to blow it.
LH: Larry, 世界杯比做报告重要多了!还是跟我看比赛吧!
L: Well Lihua, my boss isn't a push-over. If I do a bad job, he will get really mad at me.
LH: 你老板不好惹?那就算了吧......要不这样,我看比赛,你在家准备报告,如果比赛有什么精彩内容,我就打电话告诉你!
L: Hmmm ... that's a great idea! But you better not blow it and get so excited that you forget to call me.
LH: 这我可不敢保证!
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是push-over, 表示好欺负,好说话的人。另一是blow it, 意思是犯大错,把事情搞砸。
- When the boss gets mad, leave him alone.当老板生气时,不要理他。
- I'm my own boss.我自己当自己的老板。
- The team will definitely lose if he doesn't play.如果他不参加比赛,这个队肯定会输。
- I shall definitely be home before six o'clock.6点以前,我一定回家。
- The team was left raging at the referee's decision.队员们对裁判员的裁决感到非常气愤。
- The referee blew a whistle at the end of the game.裁判在比赛结束时吹响了哨子。
- Time has left its impress upon him.岁月在他身上留下了印记。
- The sights of the city never fail to impress foreign tourists.外国游客无一不对该市留有深刻印象。
- Silent Night is my favourite carol.《平安夜》是我最喜欢的圣诞颂歌。
- The people in the church are singing a christmas carol.教堂里的人们正在唱圣诞颂歌。
- She got used gradually to the vegetarian diet.她逐渐习惯吃素食。
- I didn't realize you were a vegetarian.我不知道你是个素食者。
- Last week we went to the presentation of a new play.上星期我们去观看了一场新剧的演出。
- The manner of presentation is highly important.介绍的方式很重要。