流行美语 第146课 - smack-dab / ring a bell
时间:2019-01-09 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华和Larry正在超级市场买菜。今天李华会学到两个常用语:smack-dab和ring a bell.
(Ambience sound in supermarket)
LH: Larry, 你在笑什么啊?
LL: Didn't you see that lady walk smack-dab into the fruit display? She knocked all of the oranges over. What a mess!
LH: 哎哟,那位太太把那水果摊撞翻了。真是的,你看,地上到处都是桔子。她是怎么回事呀?你说她什么来着?
LL: I said that she walk smack-dab into the fruit display. Smack-dab means 1 exactly or right. That means she walked right into the fruit display.
LH: 噢,smack-dab是很精确,很准确的意思。你刚才是说,她一直对着那个水果摊走过去,结果把水果摊撞倒了。幸好她只是撞翻了一些水果,而不是撞到什么有危险性的东西。
LL: Yeah, luckily the fruit display doesn't have any sharp edges 2. Once my friend walked smack-dab into a glass door and broke her nose.
LH: 我的天啊!你的朋友撞上一扇玻璃门,还把鼻子都撞伤了?难道他没看到那扇门吗?怎么可能撞上去呢?
LL: Well, the door was really clean and it was in the evening, so she just didn't see the glass there.
LH: 那倒是可能的,玻璃门擦得很干净,而且又是晚上。你那朋友当时一定觉得很尴尬吧?
LL: Oh, she was humiliated 3.
LH: 要是我的话,我也会很不好意思的。
LL: Hey, Li Hua, what's that on your sweater?
LH:怎么啦?我毛衣上有什么?
LL: Well, I just noticed that you have a brown spot smack-dab in the middle of your sweater.
LH: 什么?我毛衣上有一块咖啡色的脏东西?哎呀!肯定是我早上吃巧克力时滴在衣服上的。你说的对,这还恰恰在我毛衣的正中间。
LL: Oh, it's not that bad. You can change into another sweater when you get home.
******
LL: Hey, Li Hua, does the name "Laura Wilson" ring any bells for you?
LH:Laura Wilson?不是那个上星期我们在网球场上碰到的那个金发女孩嘛?她为什么要为我打铃呀?她和打铃有什么关系?
LL:Oh, no! If someone asks you if something "rings a bell," then he is asking if you remember it. I just got a phone message from Laura Wilson and I can't remember who she is.
LH: Larry, 你年纪轻轻,怎么那么健忘!Laura Wilson上星期在网球场上还跟我们说她准备去当职业网球手。
LL: Oh, now I remember who she is. Once you mentioned her plan to be a professional 4 tennis player, then her name rang a bell with me.
LH: Larry, to ring a bell这个说法很有意思。你刚才问我,Laura的名字有没有ring a bell,就是在问我记不记得Laura。那也就是说,要是我记得的话,那我脑子里就会个铃声。
LL: It's a very vivid 5 expression and easy to remember. Right?
LH: 对,我们和她说好下个周末一起打网球,你还记得吗?Does that ring a bell?
LL: Yeah, that rings a bell. What time were we supposed to meet her?
LH: 我记得我们约好了下午4点种在网球场碰面的。
LL: That rings a bell, too. I had better write that down so that I don't forget again.
LH: Larry, 这个星期五是2月11号,怎么样,那是什么日子啊?Does that ring a bell?
LL: It rings a bell, but I'm not sure why. Could you refresh 6 my memory?
LH: Larry! 我真不敢相信你居然忘记了!
LL: I'm just kidding, Li Hua. Of course, I remember that Friday is your birthday.
今天李华学到两个常用语。一个是smack-dab,意思就是不偏不歪、恰恰正好的意思。另一个常用语是ring a bell,也就是记得的意思。
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- Blood began to coagulate around the edges of the wound. 血液开始在伤口的边缘凝固。
- a surface with rounded edges 带圆边的面
- Parents are humiliated if their children behave badly when guests are present. 子女在客人面前举止失当,父母也失体面。
- He was ashamed and bitterly humiliated. 他感到羞耻,丢尽了面子。
- He is a professional tennis player.他是一名职业网球运动员。
- I need a professional to sort out my finances.我需要专业人士为我管理财务。
- The writer paints a vivid picture of his early life.那位作家生动地描绘了他早年的生活。
- The changing vivid colours of the sunset are really fascinating.日落时变化多端的色彩确实使人心醉神迷。