TED演讲:单一故事的危险性(3)
时间:2018-12-02 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
Then one Saturday, we went to his village to visit, 后来的一个星期六,我们去Fide的村庄拜访,
and his mother showed us a beautifully patterned basket made of dyed raffia that his brother had made. 她的母亲向我们展示了一个精美别致的草篮--是Fide的哥哥用染过色的酒椰叶编织的。
I was startled. It had not occurred to me that anybody in his family could actually make something. 我当时完全被震惊了。我从来没有想过Fide的家人居然有亲手制造东西的才能。
All I had heard about them was how poor they were, so that it had become impossible for me to see them as anything else but poor. 在那之前,我对Fide家唯一的了解就是他们是何等的穷苦,正因为如此,他们在我脑中的印象只是一个字──“穷”。
Their poverty was my single story of them. 他们的贫穷是我赐予他们的单一故事。
Years later, I thought about this when I left Nigeria to go to university in the United States. 多年之后,在我离开尼日利亚前往美国读大学的时候,我又想到了这件事。
I was 19. My American roommate was shocked by me. 我那时19岁。我的美国室友当时完全对我感到十分惊讶了。
She asked where I had learned to speak English so well, 她问我是从哪里学得讲一口如此流利的英语,
and was confused when I said that Nigeria happened to have English as its official language. 而当我告知她尼日利亚刚巧是以英语作为官方语言的时候,她的脸上则是写满了茫然。
She asked if she could listen to what she called my "tribal 1 music," 她问我是否可以给她听听她所谓的“部落音乐”。
and was consequently very disappointed when I produced my tape of Mariah Carey. 可想而知,当我拿出玛丽亚凯莉的磁带时,她是何等的失望。
She assumed that I did not know how to use a stove. 她断定我不知道如何使用电炉。
What struck me was this: She had felt sorry for me even before she saw me. 我猛然意识到:在她见到我之间,她就已经对我充满了怜悯之心。
Her default position toward me, as an African, was a kind of patronizing, well-meaning pity. 她对我这个非洲人的预设心态,是一种充满施恩与好意的怜悯之情。
My roommate had a single story of Africa: a single story of catastrophe 2. 我那位室友的脑中有一个关与非洲的单一故事:一个充满了灾难的单一故事。
In this single story, there was no possibility of Africans being similar to her in any way, 在这个单一故事中,非洲人是完全没有可能在任何方面和她有所相似的;
no possibility of feelings more complex than pity, no possibility of a connection as human equals. 没有可能接受到比怜悯更复杂的感情;没有可能以一个平等的人类的身份与她沟通。
1 tribal
adj.部族的,种族的
- He became skilled in several tribal lingoes.他精通几种部族的语言。
- The country was torn apart by fierce tribal hostilities.那个国家被部落间的激烈冲突弄得四分五裂。
2 catastrophe
n.大灾难,大祸
- I owe it to you that I survived the catastrophe.亏得你我才大难不死。
- This is a catastrophe beyond human control.这是一场人类无法控制的灾难。
标签:
TED演讲