时间:2019-01-02 作者:英语课 分类:向前一步


英语课

   With the other bureau chiefs, I initiated 1 conversation by asking what I could do to help them achieve their goals. 后来和其他部门负责人联系时,我都会问问自己要做些什么才可以帮助他们完成工作目标。


  It's no surprise that they reacted more positively 2 and with far fewer expletives. 不出所料,他们的回应都比较积极,抱怨的话远比我想象的少了。
  And after I employed my "What have I done for you lately?" approach, they were far more eager to return the favor. 我的方法就是问他们“最近我帮到你们了吗?”结果,他们都更愿意给我反馈。
  As often as I try to persuade people to share their honest views, it is still a challenge to elicit 3 them. 尽管我经常劝别人坦诚地分享自己的意见,但要让他们做到这一点还是比较困难的。
  When I started building my team at Google, I interviewed every candidate before we made an offer. 当我开始组建谷歌的团队时,我面试了其中每一个候选人,
  Even when the team had grown to about one hundred people, I still spoke 4 with each finalist. 甚至在团队扩大到100人时,我也要与每一个进入最终面试的人交谈。
  One day at a meeting of my direct reports, I offered to stop interviewing, 有一天,我在下属会议上提出不再参与面试,
  fully 5 expecting everyone to insist that my input 6 was an essential part of the process. 并满心期待大家会一致认为我的意见对面试结果非常重要。
  Instead, they applauded. 恰好相反,他们鼓起了掌,
  They all jumped in to explain — in unison 7 — that my insistence 8 on speaking personally to every candidate had become a huge bottleneck 9. 并解释道,我坚持要与每个面试者单独谈话已经成为了招聘中的瓶颈问题。
  I had no idea that I had been holding the team back and was upset that no one had told me. 我完全不知道自己拖了整个团队的后腿,而且之前竟没人敢说出这点,这让我很沮丧。
  I spent a few hours quietly fuming 10, which, given that I have no poker 11 face, was probably obvious to everyone. 鉴于做不到面无表情,我索性臭着脸沉默了几个小时,谁都看得出来。
  Then I realized that if my colleagues had kept this to themselves, I was clearly not communicating that I was open to their input. 然后我意识到,如果同事们之前不敢对我说明这个情况,无疑是因为我没有向大家明确地表示出我愿意接受他们的意见。
  Miscommunication is always a two-way street. 失败的交流往往是双向的。
  If I wanted more suggestions, I would have to take responsibility for making that clear. 如果我想要听到更多建议,就有责任明确地表达出这个意愿。
  And more important, I told them that I wanted their input early and often. 更重要的是,我希望能够及时地听到他们的意见。

adv.明确地,断然,坚决地;实在,确实
  • She was positively glowing with happiness.她满脸幸福。
  • The weather was positively poisonous.这天气着实讨厌。
v.引出,抽出,引起
  • It was designed to elicit the best thinking within the government. 机构的设置是为了在政府内部集思广益。
  • Don't try to elicit business secrets from me. I won't tell you anything. 你休想从我这里套问出我们的商业机密, 我什么都不会告诉你的。
n.(车轮的)辐条;轮辐;破坏某人的计划;阻挠某人的行动 v.讲,谈(speak的过去式);说;演说;从某种观点来说
  • They sourced the spoke nuts from our company.他们的轮辐螺帽是从我们公司获得的。
  • The spokes of a wheel are the bars that connect the outer ring to the centre.辐条是轮子上连接外圈与中心的条棒。
adv.完全地,全部地,彻底地;充分地
  • The doctor asked me to breathe in,then to breathe out fully.医生让我先吸气,然后全部呼出。
  • They soon became fully integrated into the local community.他们很快就完全融入了当地人的圈子。
n.输入(物);投入;vt.把(数据等)输入计算机
  • I will forever be grateful for his considerable input.我将永远感激他的大量投入。
  • All this information had to be input onto the computer.所有这些信息都必须输入计算机。
n.步调一致,行动一致
  • The governments acted in unison to combat terrorism.这些国家的政府一致行动对付恐怖主义。
  • My feelings are in unison with yours.我的感情与你的感情是一致的。
n.坚持;强调;坚决主张
  • They were united in their insistence that she should go to college.他们一致坚持她应上大学。
  • His insistence upon strict obedience is correct.他坚持绝对服从是对的。
n.瓶颈口,交通易阻的狭口;妨生产流程的一环
  • The transportation bottleneck has blocked the movement of the cargo.运输的困难阻塞了货物的流通。
  • China's strained railroads already become a bottleneck for the economy.中国紧张的铁路运输已经成为经济增长的瓶颈。
愤怒( fume的现在分词 ); 大怒; 发怒; 冒烟
  • She sat in the car, silently fuming at the traffic jam. 她坐在汽车里,心中对交通堵塞感到十分恼火。
  • I was fuming at their inefficiency. 我正因为他们效率低而发火。
n.扑克;vt.烙制
  • He was cleared out in the poker game.他打扑克牌,把钱都输光了。
  • I'm old enough to play poker and do something with it.我打扑克是老手了,可以玩些花样。
标签: 向前一步
学英语单词