你喜欢电脑吗?
SCENE② B 一阵尴尬的沉默之后
【你喜欢电脑吗?】
Herbert: Do you like computers?
赫伯特: 你喜欢电脑吗?
Rose: I have one, but I don't know much about them.
柔丝: 我有一台电脑,但对电脑不太在行。
Herbert: I see. What about baseball?
赫伯特: 喔,这样。那棒球呢?
Rose: No. 1) I'm not into sports.
柔丝: 不喜欢。我不太热衷运动。
Herbert: So... are you seeing someone?
赫伯特: 那……你有在跟人交往吗?
Rose: Well, that's a 2) personal question.
柔丝: 嗯,那是私人的问题。
Herbert: Sorry. I didn't mean to be 3) nosy 1. It's just that...
赫伯特: 对不起,我并不想探人隐私。只是……
语言详解
A: Why don't you two hang out anymore?
你们俩怎么没再去约会了?
B: It's too awkward 2 to be alone with her.
跟她独处太尴尬了。
【That's a personal question. 那是私人的问题】
有些人明明跟你不熟,却喜欢问东问西,连不该问的感情、薪资、体重、三围、家庭状况、对某人的好恶、政治倾向……都想探听。下次当你遇到这种不识相的人,而他又问了你不愿回答的问题时,就可以回他这一句。
A: How much do you weigh?
你的体重是多少?
B: That's kind of a personal question.
这是私人问题。
【I didn't mean to be... 我并非故意……】
当你说了或做了某件事,而别人因为误会而被伤害,就可以说这句话,使用时机和前面的I don't mean anything bad.相同。
A: It's a good thing you're not a singer or you'd make no money!
好在你不是歌星,不然你一定赚不到钱。
B: What?
什么?
A: I didn't mean to be rude. I was just kidding.
我并不是故意那么没礼貌。我只是开玩笑。
1) I'm not into...我不热衷于……
2) personal (a.) 私人的
3) nosy (a.) 爱追问的,爱管闲事的
- Our nosy neighbours are always looking in through our windows.好管闲事的邻居总是从我们的窗口望进来。
- My landlord is so nosy.He comes by twice a month to inspect my apartment.我的房东很烦人,他每个月都要到我公寓视察两次。