小王子 第4期:画一头羊
英语课
Remember, I had crashed in the desert a thousand miles from any inhabited region.
你们不要忘记,我当时处在远离人烟千里之外的地方。
And yet my little man seemed neither to be straying uncertainly among the sands, nor to be fainting from fatigue 1 or hunger or thirst or fear.
而这个小家伙给我的印象是,他既不象迷了路的样子,也没有半点疲乏、饥渴、惧怕的神情。
Nothing about him gave any suggestion of a child lost in the middle of the desert, a thousand miles from any human habitation.
他丝毫不象是一个迷失在旷无人烟的大沙漠中的孩子。
When at last I was able to speak, I said to him:
当我在惊讶之中终于又能说出话来的时候,对他说道:
But– what are you doing here?
唉,你在这儿干什么?
And in answer he repeated, very slowly, as if he were speaking of a matter of great consequence:
可是他却不慌不忙地好象有一件重要的事一般,对我重复地说道:
If you please– draw me a sheep.
请…给我画一只羊
When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey.
当一种神秘的东西把你镇住的时候,你是不敢不听从它的支配的,
Absurd as it might seem to me, a thousand miles from any human habitation and in danger of death,
在这旷无人烟的沙漠上,面临死亡的危险的情况下,尽管这样的举动使我感到十分荒诞,
I took out of my pocket a sheet of paper and my fountain-pen.
我还是掏出了一张纸和一支钢笔。
But then I remembered how my studies had been concentrated on geography, history, arithmetic, and grammar,
这时我却又记起,我只学过地理、历史、算术和语法,
and I told the little chap (a little crossly, too) that I did not know how to draw.
就有点不大高兴地对小家伙说我不会画画。
He answered me:“That doesn’t matter. Draw me a sheep.”
他回答我说:“没有关系,给我画一只羊吧!”
But I had never drawn 2 a sheep.
因为我从来没有画过羊,
So I drew for him one of the two pictures I had drawn so often.
我就给他重画我所仅仅会画的两副画中的
It was that of the boa constrictor from the outside.
那副闭着肚皮的巨蟒。
And I was astounded 3 to hear the little fellow greet it with.
我听了他的话,简直目瞪口呆。
No, no, no! I do not want an elephant inside a boa constrictor.
不,不!我不要蟒蛇,它肚子里还有一头象。
A boa constrictor is a very dangerous creature, and an elephant is very cumbersome 4.
他接着说:“巨蟒这东西太危险,大象又太占地方。”
Where I live, everything is very small. What I need is a sheep. Draw me a sheep.
我住的地方非常小,我需要一只羊。给我画一只羊吧。
So then I made a drawing.
我就给他画了。
n.疲劳,劳累
- The old lady can't bear the fatigue of a long journey.这位老妇人不能忍受长途旅行的疲劳。
- I have got over my weakness and fatigue.我已从虚弱和疲劳中恢复过来了。
v.拖,拉,拔出;adj.憔悴的,紧张的
- All the characters in the story are drawn from life.故事中的所有人物都取材于生活。
- Her gaze was drawn irresistibly to the scene outside.她的目光禁不住被外面的风景所吸引。
v.使震惊(astound的过去式和过去分词);愕然;愕;惊讶
- His arrogance astounded her. 他的傲慢使她震惊。
- How can you say that? I'm absolutely astounded. 你怎么能说出那种话?我感到大为震惊。
adj.笨重的,不便携带的
- Although the machine looks cumbersome,it is actually easy to use.尽管这台机器看上去很笨重,操作起来却很容易。
- The furniture is too cumbersome to move.家具太笨,搬起来很不方便。
标签:
小王子