历史英雄名人演讲 第67期:丘吉尔演讲稿(2)
时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:历史英雄名人演讲
英语课
We have before us an ordeal 1 of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering.
我们所面临的将是一场极其严酷的考验,将是旷日持久的斗争和苦难。
You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea and air.
若问我们的政策是什么?我的回答是:在陆上、海上、空中作战。
War with all our might and with all the strength God has given us,
尽我们的全力,尽上帝赋予我们的全部力量去作战,
and to wage war against a monstrous 2 tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable 3 catalogue of human crime.
对人类黑暗、可悲的罪恶史上空前凶残的暴政作战。
That is our policy.
这就是我们的政策。
You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word, It is victory.
若问我们的目标是什么?我可以用一个词来回答,那就是胜利。
Victory at all costs -victory in spite of all terrors-victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.
不惜一切代价,去夺取胜利——不惧一切恐怖,去夺取胜利——不论前路如何漫长、如何艰苦,去夺取胜利。因为没有胜利就不能生存。
Let that be realized.
我们务必认识到,
No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge,
没有胜利就不复有大英帝国,没有胜利就不复有大英帝国所象征的一切,
the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal.
没有胜利就不复有多少世纪以来的强烈要求和冲动:人类应当向自己的目标迈进。
I take up my task in buoyancy and hope.
我精神振奋、满怀信心地承担起我的任务。
I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men.
我确信,大家联合起来,我们的事业就不会遭到挫败。
I feel entitled at this juncture 4, at this time, to claim the aid of all.
在此时此刻的危急关头,我觉得我有权要求各方面的支持。
And to say, "Come then, let us go forward together with our united strength."
我要说,来吧,让我们群策群力,并肩前进!
n.苦难经历,(尤指对品格、耐力的)严峻考验
- She managed to keep her sanity throughout the ordeal.在那场磨难中她始终保持神志正常。
- Being lost in the wilderness for a week was an ordeal for me.在荒野里迷路一星期对我来说真是一场磨难。
adj.巨大的;恐怖的;可耻的,丢脸的
- The smoke began to whirl and grew into a monstrous column.浓烟开始盘旋上升,形成了一个巨大的烟柱。
- Your behaviour in class is monstrous!你在课堂上的行为真是丢人!
adj.令人惋惜的,悔恨的
- This lamentable state of affairs lasted until 1947.这一令人遗憾的事态一直持续至1947年。
- His practice of inebriation was lamentable.他的酗酒常闹得别人束手无策。
标签:
历史英雄