TED演讲:为什么应该喜爱'恶心'的科学(5)
时间:2018-12-19 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
But truthfully, we all spend sort of a big part of our lives just trying not to be gross. 但事实上,我们一生中都花费了很长时间试着摆脱恶心的感觉。
When you really think about it, we're sort of just like bags of fluids and some weird 1 tissues surrounded by a thin layer of skin. 当你们认真思考它时,我们也不过是皮包着骨头的生物罢了--薄薄的皮肤包裹着液体和奇怪的组织。
And to a certain extent, multiple times a day, whether consciously or subconsciously 2, I need to remind myself not to fart publicly. 在有些情况下,有意或无意间,我需要在一天中多次提醒自己不要在公众场所放屁。
You know, we're desperately 3 trying to avoid being gross all the time, 很显然,我们总是不顾一切地尝试躲避恶心的东西,
so I think many of us take this kind of voyeuristic 4 delight in learning about gross things. 所以我认为大多数人会将这种偷窥的愉悦运用到恶心的事物上。
This is certainly true of kids; the number of middle school teachers who show my videos in their science classes is a testament 5 to that. 尤其是儿童,在科学课堂上展示我的视频的中学老师的数量就是很好的证明。
But I think it's totally true of adults, too. 但我认为这个观点也适用于成人。
You know, I think we all love hearing about gross stories, 我认为我们都喜欢听闻恶心的故事,
because it's a socially acceptable way to explore the gross side of ourselves. 毕竟,探索我们自己恶心的一面,在社会层面上是可以接受的。
But there's this other reason that I think talking about gross stuff is so important. 让我觉得谈论恶心的东西很重要,还有着另一层原因。
So a while back, I made a video on tonsil stones -- sorry, everyone 前不久,我制作了一个关于扁桃体结石的视频--抱歉让大家觉得不舒服,
which are these balls of mucus and bacteria and food that get lodged 6 in your tonsils and they smell really terrible, 这些镶嵌在你们扁桃体的粘液球,细菌和食物味道非常难闻,
sometimes you cough them up and it's like -- it's awful. 有时候会随着咳嗽喷出来,让人感到很恶心。
And many, many people have experienced this. 不少人都有过这样的经历。
But many of the people who have experienced this haven't really had a forum 7 to talk about it. 但经历过这一过程的很多人,并未真正公开讨论过这个问题。
And today, this video that I made is my most popular video. It has millions of views. 时至今日,我制作的这个视频仍然是所有视频中最流行的一个。有几百万的点击率。
1 weird
adj.古怪的,离奇的;怪诞的,神秘而可怕的
- From his weird behaviour,he seems a bit of an oddity.从他不寻常的行为看来,他好像有点怪。
- His weird clothes really gas me.他的怪衣裳简直笑死人。
2 subconsciously
ad.下意识地,潜意识地
- In choosing a partner we are subconsciously assessing their evolutionary fitness to be a mother of children or father provider and protector. 在选择伴侣的时候,我们会在潜意识里衡量对方将来是否会是称职的母亲或者父亲,是否会是合格的一家之主。
- Lao Yang thought as he subconsciously tightened his grasp on the rifle. 他下意识地攥紧枪把想。 来自汉英文学 - 散文英译
3 desperately
adv.极度渴望地,绝望地,孤注一掷地
- He was desperately seeking a way to see her again.他正拼命想办法再见她一面。
- He longed desperately to be back at home.他非常渴望回家。
4 voyeuristic
adj.喜好窥阴的
- On the other hand, perhaps the author of the spyware just has voyeuristic tendencies. 不过,也可能程序作者只是有窥阴癖而已。 来自互联网
- Hitchcock also a perverse thrill out of taking audiences on a voyeuristic roller-coaster ride. 希区柯克也有有害刺激的考虑受众的偷窥过山车旅程。 来自互联网
5 testament
n.遗嘱;证明
- This is his last will and testament.这是他的遗愿和遗嘱。
- It is a testament to the power of political mythology.这说明,编造政治神话可以产生多大的威力。
标签:
TED演讲