TED演讲:中美洲南部的园丁游击队员(4)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
There's another time when I put a garden in this homeless shelter in downtown Los Angeles. 还有一次当我在洛杉矶市中心的一个流浪汉之家安置了一个花园。
These are the guys, they helped me unload 1 the truck. 这些小伙子帮助我卸了货。
It was cool, and they just shared the stories about how this affected 2 them and how they used to plant with their mother and their grandmother, 这很酷,他们分享了关于花园如何对他们产生影响以及他们如何与自己的母亲以及祖母一起种植的故事,
and it was just cool to see how this changed them, if it was only for that one moment. 看到花园可以改变他们真是一件非常酷的事情,仅仅为了这一刻。
So Green Grounds has gone on to plant maybe 20 gardens. 绿地组织又开始安置,也许是20个花园。
We've had, like, 50 people come to our dig-ins and participate, and it's all volunteers. 我们已经有大约50人参与到我们的团队中来,他们全都是志愿者。
If kids grow kale, kids eat kale. If they grow tomatoes, they eat tomatoes. 如果孩子们种植甘蓝,孩子们就会吃甘蓝。如果他们种植番茄,他们就会吃番茄。
But when none of this is presented to them, if they're not shown how food affects the mind and the body, 但是当这些都没有呈现在孩子们眼前,如果他们并没有体会到食物是如何影响人的想法和身体的,
they blindly eat whatever the hell 3 you put in front of them. 他们只是盲目的吃着任何摆在他们面前的食物。
I see young people and they want to work, 我看到年轻人们他们想要工作,
but they're in this thing where they're caught up -- I see kids of color and they're just on this track that's designed for them, that leads them to nowhere. 但是他们都很乐意在这件事上花时间,我看到不同肤色的孩子们,他们一直循规蹈矩走着别人为他们设计的路,而这条路却不知所终。
So with gardening, I see an opportunity where we can train these kids to take over their communities, to have a sustainable life. 当进行园艺活动时,我发现了一个机会,我们能训练这些孩子们接管他们的社区,过上一种可持续发展的生活。
And when we do this, who knows? We might produce the next George Washington Carver. 我们这么做的时候,谁知道呢?或许我们会培养出下一个乔治华盛顿呢。
But if we don't change the composition of the soil, we will never do this. 但是如果我们不改变土壤的成分,我们永远不会这样做。
1 unload
vt.卸下,卸货,摆脱...之负担,(大量)倾销;vi.卸下货物,摆脱负担,退出(弹药,胶片等)
- They want to unload the stocks on the market.他们想把股票在市场上抛售掉。
- She began to unload her troubles on her mother.她开始把她的烦恼告诉母亲。
标签:
TED演讲