生活英语听力文章 第2期: 定时炸弹(2)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:生活英语听力文章
英语课
Even though Brenda may have felt justified 1 in her anger, 即使布伦达觉得他的愤怒很正当,
her outburst reflected poorly on her ability to remain calm under pressure. 她的爆发反映了他极差的高压下的自控能力。
She inflicted 2 hurt and embarrassment 3 on her supervisor, 她给领导到来了伤害和尴尬,
and she failed to project the level of professionalism that her employer requires and expects. 她没有拿出雇主需要和期望的专业水平。
Consider the other potential consequences: 请认真思考下这件事带来的其他潜在的后果。
Brenda must apologize if she wishes to repair the damage she has done. 如果她想修补带来的伤害布伦达必须道歉。
She now has a strained working relationship with Doug at best, 很有可能会弥补不了。
and possibly an irreparably damaged one. 现在她和道格关系很紧张,
She has lost the respect of her co-workers who now view her differently. 她已经失去了见证她发生改变的同僚们的尊重,
and she may lose her job or chance of promotion 4. 接下来可能会失去工作和晋升的机会。
I’ve exploded at times in my own life. 在生活中我也爆发过很多次。
I know that I have damaged my reputation, 在被我愤怒波及的人
not only in the eyes of the person who received the brunt of my anger, 以及目睹我这个过程的人眼中
but also in the eyes of everyone who bore witness. 我都已经自毁声誉了。
Even worse, I have done it with my wife. 更糟糕的是,我对我妻子爆发过。
Like many of the lessons I share on Little Things Matter, 正如我所分享的很多重要的事情一样,
I learned this one the hard way. 我体会到这个也是通过一个艰难的方式。
The next time you feel the tension rising and you start to think you can’t handle any more of someone or something, 下一次你感到紧张感上升,你认为你处理不来一些人或事时,
take a deep breath and exhale 5 slowly. 深吸一口气,缓缓呼出来。
Pause to consider the damage you might cause to your job, reputation, or relationship if you don’t keep your emotions in check. 如果你不能把情感放置合适的位置就停下来想想你可能会给工作、名誉或人际关系造成的损失。
Use this awareness 6 to make sure you don’t say or do anything you will regret. 用这样意识来确保你不会说出或做出后悔的事情。
Warren Buffet 7 said “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. 沃伦巴菲特说过:树立声誉需要20年,而摧毁它只需5分钟。
If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” 如果你认真思考这句话,你在做事时就会与众不同。
When you find yourself getting upset, 当你感到失落时,
challenge yourself to find a way of handling your frustration 8 in a way that makes you proud. 挑战自己去寻找一个让你骄傲的方法来处理这种沮丧。
One of the things my wife always says when she knows I am upset with someone is “speak in love, Tod” 当我妻子知道我和别人不愉快时她会经常说一句话“用爱和人说话”。
When I consider speaking in love to those who have angered me, 当我想着用爱和惹我生气的人交流时,
it completely changes my attitude because I know it is the right thing to do. 我的态度完全改变了因为我知道这样做是对的。
And remember, when you choose to respond rather than react to a difficult situation, 记着,当你选择回应而不是困境下的自然反应时,
you demonstrate to others and yourself that you are in control of your emotions. 你向其他人和自己证明了你能控制住自己的情绪。
1 justified
a.正当的,有理的
- She felt fully justified in asking for her money back. 她认为有充分的理由要求退款。
- The prisoner has certainly justified his claims by his actions. 那个囚犯确实已用自己的行动表明他的要求是正当的。
2 inflicted
把…强加给,使承受,遭受( inflict的过去式和过去分词 )
- They inflicted a humiliating defeat on the home team. 他们使主队吃了一场很没面子的败仗。
- Zoya heroically bore the torture that the Fascists inflicted upon her. 卓娅英勇地承受法西斯匪徒加在她身上的酷刑。
3 embarrassment
n.尴尬;使人为难的人(事物);障碍;窘迫
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
4 promotion
n.提升,晋级;促销,宣传
- The teacher conferred with the principal about Dick's promotion.教师与校长商谈了迪克的升级问题。
- The clerk was given a promotion and an increase in salary.那个职员升了级,加了薪。
5 exhale
v.呼气,散出,吐出,蒸发
- Sweet odours exhale from flowers.花儿散发出花香。
- Wade exhaled a cloud of smoke and coughed.韦德吐出一口烟,然后咳嗽起来。
6 awareness
n.意识,觉悟,懂事,明智
- There is a general awareness that smoking is harmful.人们普遍认识到吸烟有害健康。
- Environmental awareness has increased over the years.这些年来人们的环境意识增强了。
7 buffet
n.自助餐;饮食柜台;餐台
- Are you having a sit-down meal or a buffet at the wedding?你想在婚礼中摆桌宴还是搞自助餐?
- Could you tell me what specialties you have for the buffet?你能告诉我你们的自助餐有什么特色菜吗?
8 frustration
n.挫折,失败,失效,落空
- He had to fight back tears of frustration.他不得不强忍住失意的泪水。
- He beat his hands on the steering wheel in frustration.他沮丧地用手打了几下方向盘。
标签:
生活英语