TED演讲:演示'第六感'(1)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
I've been intrigued 1 by this question of whether we could evolve or develop a sixth sense 有一个问题我思考了很久,就是我们能否进化出一种第六感官。
a sense that would give us seamless access and easy access to meta-information or information 这种感官可以让我们快速的、便捷的获得元信息,或者是其他的一些信息,
that may exist somewhere that may be relevant to help us make the right decision about whatever it is that we're coming across. 在我们需要做出一些决定的时候,这些信息能帮助我们做出正确的选择。
And some of you may argue, "Well, don't today's cell phones do that already?" But I would say no. 你们可能会说,“当今的手机不正是如此吗?”但是,我不认同。
When you meet someone here at TED 2 -- and this is the top networking place, of course, of the year 假设,当你在TED遇到某人,毫无疑问,TED是每年最佳的社交场所。
you don't shake somebody's hand and then say, "Can you hold on for a moment while I take out my phone and Google you?" 难道你会不跟人家握手,然后说:“你能等一会吗?我要用手机Google一下你。”
Or when you go to the supermarket and you're standing 3 there in that huge aisle 4 of different types of toilet papers, 或者,当你在超市里,站在一排巨大的货架前,面对着各种各样的厕纸,
you don't take out your cell phone, and open a browser 5, and go to a website 难道你会拿出手机,打开浏览器登录一个网站,
to try to decide which of these different toilet papers is the most ecologically responsible purchase to make. 尝试去决定到底哪一种厕纸才是最环保的,最应该买的?
So we don't really have easy access to all this relevant information 所以说,我们并没有一个便捷的渠道去获取这些信息,
that can just help us make optimal 6 decisions about what to do next and what actions to take. 这些能帮助我们做出应该要干什么的最佳决定的信息。
And so my research group at the Media Lab has been developing a series of inventions to give us access to this information in a sort of easy way, 因此,我的实验室的研发团队完成了一系列的发明,帮助用户快速简单的获取这些信息,
without requiring that the user changes any of their behavior. 在不改变用户行为的条件下。
And I'm here to unveil our latest effort, and most successful effort so far, which is still very much a work in process. 现在,我将这个设备展示给大家。这是我们至今最成功的版本,仍然在不断改进。
I'm actually wearing the device right now and we've sort of cobbled it together with components 7 that are off the shelf 我现在正佩戴着,我们其实是把市面上常见的一些组件组装在了一起。
and that, by the way, only cost 350 dollars at this point in time. 顺便提一下,目前这个设备的成本是350美元。
1 intrigued
adj.好奇的,被迷住了的v.搞阴谋诡计(intrigue的过去式);激起…的兴趣或好奇心;“intrigue”的过去式和过去分词
- You've really intrigued me—tell me more! 你说的真有意思—再给我讲一些吧!
- He was intrigued by her story. 他被她的故事迷住了。
2 ted
vt.翻晒,撒,撒开
- The invaders gut ted the village.侵略者把村中财物洗劫一空。
- She often teds the corn when it's sunny.天好的时候她就翻晒玉米。
3 standing
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
4 aisle
n.(教堂、教室、戏院等里的)过道,通道
- The aisle was crammed with people.过道上挤满了人。
- The girl ushered me along the aisle to my seat.引座小姐带领我沿着通道到我的座位上去。
5 browser
n.浏览者
- View edits in a web browser.在浏览器中看编辑的效果。
- I think my browser has a list of shareware links.我想在浏览器中会有一系列的共享软件链接。
6 optimal
adj.最适宜的;最理想的;最令人满意的
- What is the optimal mix of private and public property rights in natural resources?私人和国家的自然资源产权的最适宜的组合是什么?
- Optimal path planning is a key link for the sailing contest.帆船最优行驶路径规划是帆船比赛取胜的关键环节。
7 components
(机器、设备等的)构成要素,零件,成分; 成分( component的名词复数 ); [物理化学]组分; [数学]分量; (混合物的)组成部分
- the components of a machine 机器部件
- Our chemistry teacher often reduces a compound to its components in lab. 在实验室中化学老师常把化合物分解为各种成分。
标签:
TED演讲