TED演讲:解读羞耻(3)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
The first is: vulnerability is not weakness. 第一件事,脆弱不是弱点。
And that myth is profoundly dangerous. 并且这种错误理解非常危险。
Let me ask you honestly -- and I'll give you this warning, I'm trained as a therapist, so I can out-wait you uncomfortably 我想诚恳地请问大家 -- 先给个提醒,作为一个受过专业训练的治疗师,我知道你们会感觉不太自在
-- so if you could just raise your hand that would be awesome 1 -- 所以你们只要举手就很好了
-- how many of you honestly, when you're thinking about doing or saying something vulnerable -- 坦诚地讲有多少人, 当你们想到做一些脆弱的事或说一些脆弱的话的时候,
think, "God, vulnerability is weakness." How many of you think of vulnerability and weakness synonymously? 会觉得:天啊,脆弱就是软弱,这就是软弱?有多少人认为脆弱和软弱是一回事?
The majority of people. Now let me ask you this question: This past week at TED 2, 大部分人。现在我们这样来问:在TED刚过去的这周,
how many of you, when you saw vulnerability up here, thought it was pure courage? 有多少人,当你们看到(我在这儿讲)脆弱的时候,认为那是纯粹的勇气?
Vulnerability is not weakness. I define vulnerability as emotional risk, exposure, uncertainty 3. 脆弱不是软弱。我把脆弱定义为:情感的风险、流露,以及不确定性。
It fuels our daily lives. And I've come to the belief -- this is my 12th year doing this research 它驱动我们的日常生活。并且我已经达成了这样一种信念 -- 我已经研究这个课题12年了
-- that vulnerability is our most accurate measurement of courage -- to be vulnerable, to let ourselves be seen, to be honest. -- 那就是,脆弱是对我们的勇气最精确的衡量 -- 保留脆弱,开放自我,保持真诚。
One of the weird 4 things that's happened is, after the TED explosion, I got a lot of offers to speak all over the country 有个奇怪的事就是,在TED这个演讲轰动之后,我收到全国各地的很多邀请
-- everyone from schools and parent meetings to Fortune 500 companies. -- 从学校家长会到世界500强的公司。
And so many of the calls went like this, "Dr. Brown, we loved your TED talk. 很多电话都是这样的:“嗨,布朗博士,我们喜欢您的TED演讲。
We'd like you to come in and speak. We'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mention vulnerability or shame." 我们想邀请您来讲一讲。 但有一件事,希望您不要提到脆弱或者羞耻。”
1 awesome
adj.令人惊叹的,难得吓人的,很好的
- The church in Ireland has always exercised an awesome power.爱尔兰的教堂一直掌握着令人敬畏的权力。
- That new white convertible is totally awesome.那辆新的白色折篷汽车简直棒极了.
2 ted
vt.翻晒,撒,撒开
- The invaders gut ted the village.侵略者把村中财物洗劫一空。
- She often teds the corn when it's sunny.天好的时候她就翻晒玉米。
3 uncertainty
n.易变,靠不住,不确知,不确定的事物
- Her comments will add to the uncertainty of the situation.她的批评将会使局势更加不稳定。
- After six weeks of uncertainty,the strain was beginning to take its toll.6个星期的忐忑不安后,压力开始产生影响了。
标签:
TED演讲