TED演讲 :慈悲心与感同身受的真正涵义(1)
时间:2018-12-08 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲娱乐篇
英语课
I want to address the issue of compassion 1. 我想探讨慈悲心这个话题
Compassion has many faces. 慈悲心有很多形态
Some of them are fierce; some of them are wrathful; 有些是激烈的;有些是忿怒的
some of them are tender; some of them are wise. 有些是温和的, 有些是智慧的
A line that the Dalai Lama once said, he said, "Love and compassion are necessities. 达赖喇嘛曾说过 他说:“爱与慈悲是必需品
They are not luxuries. 它们不是奢侈品
Without them, humanity cannot survive. 没有它们 " 人性无法留存。”
And I would suggest, it is not only humanity that won't survive, 我想说的是 不仅人性难以保全
but it is all species on the planet, as we've heard today. And I would suggest, it is not only humanity that won't survive, 我们今天所知道的 地球上所有的物种都是 我想说的是 不仅人性难以保全
but it is all species on the planet, as we've heard today. 我们今天所知道的 地球上所有的物种都是
It is the big cats, and it's the plankton 2. 不论是大型猫科动物 还是浮游生物
Two weeks ago, I was in Bangalore in India. 两周前,我在印度的班加罗尔
I was so privileged to be able to teach in a hospice on the outskirts 3 of Bangalore. 我很荣幸的 在班加罗尔的郊区 一个安养院教授临终关怀
And early in the morning, I went into the ward 4. 每天很早 我就去病房
In that hospice, there were 31 men and women who were actively 5 dying. 在那家安养院 有31个人 处在濒死状态
And I walked up to the bedside of an old woman who was breathing very rapidly, fragile, 我走到 一个老年妇女的床前 她的呼吸非常急促而微弱
obviously in the latter phase of active dying. 很明显 她处于濒死的末期
I looked into her face. I looked into the face of her son sitting next to her, 我看着她的脸 看着坐在她旁边 她儿子的脸
and his face was just riven with grief and confusion. 他的脸 溢满了悲伤和困惑
And I remembered a line from the Mahabharata, the great Indian epic: 我记得 摩诃婆罗多 伟大的印度史诗里有这么一段话:
"What is the most wondrous 6 thing in the world, Yudhisthira?" “尤帝士提尔,什么是这世上最美妙的事情?”
And Yudhisthira replied, 尤帝士提尔答道
"The most wondrous thing in the world is that all around us people can be dying and we don't realize it can happen to us." “世上最美妙的事情 就是我们所有人 都将死去 而我们对此 却一无所知。”
I looked up. 我仰起头
Tending those 31 dying people were young women from villages around Bangalore. 照顾这31个濒死者的 是来自 班加罗尔周边村子的年轻女性
I looked into the face of one of these women, 我看着她们的脸
and I saw in her face the strength that arises when natural compassion is really present. 在她们的脸上 我看到 慈悲显现时升起的力量
I watched her hands as she bathed an old man. 我看着她的手 她在给一个老年男人沐浴
My gaze went to another young woman as she wiped the face of another dying person. 我转头望向另一个年轻女子 她在擦拭 另一位临死的人的脸
And it reminded me 这让我想起
of something that I had just been present for. 我刚刚演讲提到的那些内容 And it reminded me 这让我想起
of something that I had just been present for. 我刚刚演讲提到的那些内容
Every year or so, I have the privilege of taking clinicians into the Himalayas and the Tibetan Plateau. 差不多每一年 我由此荣幸身负使命 进入喜马拉雅地区和西藏高原
We run clinics in these very remote regions where there's no medical care whatsoever 7. 我们在每一个遥远的区域 开设诊所 那里没有此类医疗护理
1 compassion
n.同情,怜悯
- He could not help having compassion for the poor creature.他情不自禁地怜悯起那个可怜的人来。
- Her heart was filled with compassion for the motherless children.她对于没有母亲的孩子们充满了怜悯心。
2 plankton
n.浮游生物
- Plankton is at the bottom of the marine food chain.浮游生物处于海洋食物链的最底层。
- The plankton in the sea feeds many kinds of animals. 海的浮游生物成为很多种动物的食物。
3 outskirts
n.郊外,郊区
- Our car broke down on the outskirts of the city.我们的汽车在市郊出了故障。
- They mostly live on the outskirts of a town.他们大多住在近郊。
4 ward
n.守卫,监护,病房,行政区,由监护人或法院保护的人(尤指儿童);vt.守护,躲开
- The hospital has a medical ward and a surgical ward.这家医院有内科病房和外科病房。
- During the evening picnic,I'll carry a torch to ward off the bugs.傍晚野餐时,我要点根火把,抵挡蚊虫。
5 actively
adv.积极地,勤奋地
- During this period all the students were actively participating.在这节课中所有的学生都积极参加。
- We are actively intervening to settle a quarrel.我们正在积极调解争执。
6 wondrous
adj.令人惊奇的,奇妙的;adv.惊人地;异乎寻常地;令人惊叹地
- The internal structure of the Department is wondrous to behold.看一下国务院的内部结构是很有意思的。
- We were driven across this wondrous vast land of lakes and forests.我们乘车穿越这片有着湖泊及森林的广袤而神奇的土地。
7 whatsoever
adv.(用于否定句中以加强语气)任何;pron.无论什么
- There's no reason whatsoever to turn down this suggestion.没有任何理由拒绝这个建议。
- All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,do ye even so to them.你想别人对你怎样,你就怎样对人。
标签:
TED演讲