TED演讲 :我选择和平(3)
时间:2018-12-08 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲娱乐篇
英语课
Then there was "The Daily Show." 接着,有个“每日秀”的节目出现了。
On a nightly basis, Jon Stewart forced me to be intellectually honest with myself about my own bigotry 1 每一晚,乔恩·斯图尔特催促我诚实面对自己的偏见,
and helped me to realize that a person's race, religion or sexual orientation 2 had nothing to do with the quality of one's character. 帮助我认识到一个人的种族, 信仰和性取向对这个人的人格没有任何关系。
He was in many ways a father figure to me when I was in desperate need of one. 某种程度上说,每当我迫切需要一个父亲的时候,他就在那里。
Inspiration can often come from an unexpected place, 鼓舞人心之事往往来自你无法预知的地方,
and the fact that a Jewish comedian 3 had done more to positively 4 influence my worldview than my own extremist father is not lost on me. 事实上,一个犹太裔喜剧明星积极地影响我的世界观,比我那极端的亲生父亲多得多。
One day, I had a conversation with my mother about how my worldview was starting to change, 某天,我和母亲谈到我的世界观正在改变,
and she said something to me that I will hold dear to my heart for as long as I live. 她对我说,我将在生命里一直带着尊重的心。
She looked at me with the weary eyes of someone who had experienced enough dogmatism to last a lifetime, 她用疲倦的眼神看着我,她受够了被教条主义侵占的人生,
and said, "I'm tired of hating people." 说到:“我不愿憎恨他人了。”
In that instant, I realized how much negative energy it takes to hold that hatred 5 inside of you. 瞬间,我意识到,在内心里承受憎恨需要多么巨大的负能量。
Zak Ebrahim is not my real name. 扎克·伊博黑姆不是我的本名。
I changed it when my family decided 6 to end our connection with my father and start a new life. 当我的家人决定和我父亲断绝关系时我改了这个名字以开始新的生活。
So why would I out myself and potentially put myself in danger? 那么,我为什么要出现在公众视线前将自己置于可能的危险境地呢?
Well, that's simple. 嗯,这很容易解释。
I do it in the hopes that perhaps someone someday who is compelled to use violence may hear my story and realize that there is a better way, 我这样做是希望也许某人某天当他决定使用武力反抗社会的时候可能会听到我的故事,
that although I had been subjected to this violent, intolerant ideology 7, that I did not become fanaticized. 并意识到有比动武更好的方法,尽管我曾被灌输这样的暴力思维,偏狭的意识, 我并没有为其所动。
Instead, I choose to use my experience to fight back against terrorism, against the bigotry. 而是选择通过自己的经验来抵抗恐怖主义,来反对偏见。
I do it for the victims of terrorism and their loved ones, 我为了那些恐怖袭击的受害者以及他们的亲人而这样做,
for the terrible pain and loss that terrorism has forced upon their lives. 为了那些被恐怖主义活动所造成的生命的苦痛和损失而这样做。
For the victims of terrorism, I will speak out against these senseless acts and condemn 8 my father's actions. 为了那些遭受恐怖袭击的受害者,我站出来反对这些毫无意义的袭击行动,谴责我父亲的行为。
And with that simple fact, I stand here as proof that violence isn't inherent in one's religion or race, 就是这样简单的原因,我站在这里证明暴力不是宗教或种族与生俱来的,
and the son does not have to follow the ways of his father. I am not my father. 儿子并不需要走上和父亲相同的道路。我不是我的父亲。
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢。
1 bigotry
n.偏见,偏执,持偏见的行为[态度]等
- She tried to dissociate herself from the bigotry in her past.她力图使自己摆脱她以前的偏见。
- At least we can proceed in this matter without bigotry.目前这件事咱们至少可以毫无偏见地进行下去。
2 orientation
n.方向,目标;熟悉,适应,情况介绍
- Children need some orientation when they go to school.小孩子上学时需要适应。
- The traveller found his orientation with the aid of a good map.旅行者借助一幅好地图得知自己的方向。
3 comedian
n.喜剧演员;滑稽演员
- The comedian tickled the crowd with his jokes.喜剧演员的笑话把人们逗乐了。
- The comedian enjoyed great popularity during the 30's.那位喜剧演员在三十年代非常走红。
4 positively
adv.明确地,断然,坚决地;实在,确实
- She was positively glowing with happiness.她满脸幸福。
- The weather was positively poisonous.这天气着实讨厌。
5 hatred
n.憎恶,憎恨,仇恨
- He looked at me with hatred in his eyes.他以憎恨的眼光望着我。
- The old man was seized with burning hatred for the fascists.老人对法西斯主义者充满了仇恨。
6 decided
adj.决定了的,坚决的;明显的,明确的
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
标签:
TED演讲