TED演讲:为了更好的辩论(4)
时间:2019-03-04 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
So how can we find ways to make arguments yield something positive? 所以我们如何去进行辩论,并使之有一些积极的影响呢?
What we need is new exit strategies for arguments. 我们所需要的是一个新的方式来终止一场辩论。
But we're not going to have new exit strategies for arguments 但是我们没有办法找到一个新的方式去终止辩论,
until we have new entry approaches to arguments. 除非我们可以找到一个新的方式去开始一场辩论。
We need to think of new kinds of arguments. 我们需要一种新的辩论方式。
In order to do that, well, I don't know how to do that. 为了找到这种新的方式,可是我不知道应该怎么做。
That's the bad news. 这是个坏消息。
The argument-as-war metaphor 1 is just, it's a monster. 视辩论如战争的观点本身就如同是一个怪兽。
It's just taken up habitation in our mind, 这已经成为我们的思维定式了,
and there's no magic bullet that's going to kill it. 而且也没有什么快速有效的办法可以解决它。
There's no magic wand that's going to make it disappear. 我们没有办法就这样让他消失不见。
I don't have an answer. 我不知道该怎么解决。
But I have some suggestions, and here's my suggestion. 但是我确实有一些建议,这里是我的建议。
If we want to think of new kinds of arguments, 如果我想要创造一种崭新的辩论方式,
what we need to do is think of new kinds of arguers. 那么我们需要的其实是新的辩论者。
So try this. 所以尝试一下这个。
Think of all the roles that people play in arguments. 想象一下人们在辩论中所扮演的角色。
There's the proponent 2 and the opponent in an adversarial, dialectical argument. 我需要支持者与反对者,才能进行一场意见相反的,辩证性的辩论。
There's the audience in rhetorical arguments. 在修饰性辩论中,我们需要有观众。
There's the reasoner in arguments as proofs. 在证明式论证中我们需要推理者。
All these different roles. 所有这些不同角色。
Now, can you imagine an argument in which you are the arguer, 现在,你可以想象在一场辩论中,你既是辩论者,
but you're also in the audience watching yourself argue? 也是观众看着你自己的表现?
Can you imagine yourself watching yourself argue, 你能想象你自己看着你自己辩论,
losing the argument, and yet still, at the end of the argument, say, 在辩论中落败,却仍然在辩论结束后,觉得,
"Wow, that was a good argument." “哦,这是一场不错的辩论。”
Can you do that? I think you can. 你能做到吗?我觉得你能。
And I think, if you can imagine that kind of argument 我觉得如果你可以想象一场辩论,
where the loser says to the winner and the audience and the jury can say, 败者可以对胜者,对观众以及裁判们说
"Yeah, that was a good argument," “噢,这是一场不错的辩论,”
then you have imagined a good argument. 即使如此你也已经可以想象一场不错的辩论了。
And more than that, I think you've imagined 而且不仅如此,我想你已经可以想象到
a good arguer, an arguer that's worthy 3 of the kind of arguer you should try to be. 一个好的辩论者,一个你希望成为的辩论者。
Now, I lose a lot of arguments. 现在,我输掉了很多辩论。
It takes practice to become a good arguer 要成为一个好的辩论者是需要练习的
in the sense of being able to benefit from losing, 尤其是从失败中汲取教训这一点。
but fortunately, I've had many, many colleagues 但是幸运的是,我有很多很多同事
who have been willing to step up and provide that practice for me. 他们愿意为我参与进来并和我一起练习成为好的辩论者。
Thank you. 谢谢。
n.隐喻,暗喻
- Using metaphor,we say that computers have senses and a memory.打个比方,我们可以说计算机有感觉和记忆力。
- In poetry the rose is often a metaphor for love.玫瑰在诗中通常作为爱的象征。
n.建议者;支持者;adj.建议的
- Stapp became a strong early proponent of automobile seat belts.斯塔普是力主在汽车上采用座椅安全带的早期倡导者。
- Halsey was identified as a leading proponent of the values of progressive education.哈尔西被认为是进步教育价值观的主要支持者。
标签:
TED演讲