世界500强CEO访谈 第1期:沃尔玛李.斯科特 我们关注环保(1)
时间:2019-02-27 作者:英语课 分类:世界500强CEO访谈
英语课
We care about environment protection
我们关注环保
Reporter:When you started focusing on the environment at Wal-Mart,
记者:当您致力于整顿沃尔玛的环境问题时,
you were under an organized attack from union-backgroups that were attacking you for wage policies,immigration policies,health policies,
很多工会支持的小组正在对您制定的工资政策、移民政策、健康政策进行着有组织的抨击,
but not necessarily for enverionmental policies.
而并没有涉及到环境问题。
So what made you decide to bring the environment to the environment to forefront of what Wal-Mart was doing?
那么究竟是什么原因使您决定将环境问题作为沃尔玛要处理的首要问题呢?
沃尔玛.png
Scott:It's consistent 1 with what we say our purpose is, and that is saving people money so they can live better.
斯科特:这与我们的企业目标一致,即为人们节省资金以使他们过上更好的生活。
We looked at what Sam Walton started and how he developed the company.
我们研究了山姆·沃尔顿创立和发展沃尔玛的过程。
It was by eliminating waste, bringing in efficiencies.
最后得到的结论便是减少浪费,提高效率。
And by thinking about sustainability from our standpoint it really is about how do you take cost out, which is waste,
站在我们的角度来考虑公司长期发展,那实际上就是降低成本勤俭节约,
wherther it's through recycling,through less energy use in the store, through the constructinn techniques we're using,through the supply chain.
无论是通过回收利用、节约现有能源、改善施工技术的方式,还是通过控制供应链的方式,
All of those things are simply the ceration of waste.
因为在这些过程中便会产生浪费。
We found it's consistent with the entire model we've had since Sam opened the first store.
所以我们认为这与山姆最初的设想是完全一致的。
Reporter:So it's all about cost reduction.
记者:所以这都是关于降低成本的。
It's not about trade-offs?
这并非是折衷的举措?
Is there never a point where you say, gosh,this is going to cost us a little more,
您会不会认为,虽然做这些事成本花费要高一些,
but it's going to be much better for the environment?
但对保护环境更有益处?
Scott:Well,there are things that you, as a business,
斯科特:作为一个企业,
have to think about that something may be more cost-effective but is just wrong pollution of the water or those kinds of things.
不得不考虑如何更有效地节约成本,但某些节约成本的方法可能是错误的比如为了降低成本可能会导致水资源的污染,
Those things come into play.
这种事时有发生。
One of the things people talk about is, will people pay more?
人们常常讨论的一件事情是:人们需要为此而付出更多吗?
Our question is, why should they have to?
而我我们所考虑的问题是:人们为什么要付出更多呢?
If you can take the waste out,if you can take the cost out,
如果可以减少浪费,降低成本,
and you can provide people who are working people living paycheck to paycheck with an opportunity to be more sustainable,
那就能为那些靠工资辛苦生活的工人们提供一个机会,使他们能够更好地生活,
we think they will react to that,and they do.
我想他们会积极响应,而且他们的确是这么做的。
Reporter:Will your consumers pay more for products that are environmentally green?
记者:您认为顾客会愿意以更高的价格购买那些对环境有益的商品吗?
Is there any willingness to pay more for something that is perceived as being good for the environment?
顾客会有这样的意向吗?
Scott:Depending on the store, you see a difference in how people are reacting.
斯科特:这取决于商店所处的位置,顾客对此的反应因人而异。
Where you have a store that's in a higher-household-income area, you can see that people can afford to and are willing to pay a little bit more.
如果把商店设在高收入区,你会发现那里的人们有能力也愿意多付一些钱去购买这类商品。
People in general are living paycheck to paycheck for a broad amount of American society.
一般而言,美国大部分人都是依靠薪水生活的.
It's not that they don't care about sustainability; it's that they can't afford to pay more.
不是他们不关心社会的可持续发展,而是他们的收入水平不允许他们为此而花更多的钱。
They can't pay a dollar more for the cleaning supply. They can't pay $3 more for a T-shirt.
他们不会为清洁服务而多花1美元,也不会为一件T恤多花3美元。
Reporter:If we impose 2 either a tax or a cap-and-trade system on carbon emissions 3, that is like a tax,
记者:如果对碳排放征税或者设立类似税收的限额交易体系,
that means that those shoppers at Wal-Mart will have to pay more for most of the things they're buying from you, doesn't it?
这是否意味着顾客在沃尔玛购买商品时就不得不比以前花费更多?
adj.坚持的,一贯的,一致的,符合的
- He has been a consistent friend to the Chinese people.他是中国人民始终如一的朋友。
- His action is always consistent with his words.他始终言行一致。
vt.把…强加于,加重…负担;征收(税款)
- Don't impose yourself on people who don't like you.不要硬缠着不喜欢你的人。
- I don't want to impose on you.我并不想打扰你。
标签:
CEO