实用口语:各种“可能”口语该怎么用?
英语课
日常口语中回答别人的一般疑问句时,除了比较直接的"Yes"和"No"外,也可以用上一些表示“可能”的词,给自己留有更多回旋余地。
第一部分 四个基础词汇
它们就是"maybe", "perhaps", "possibly"以及"probably"。
<可能性程度>
其中的"probably"表示可能性比较大:50%以上;
"Possibly"表示可能性为50%以下;
"Maybe"和"perhaps"则表示正反可能性不相上下,对半分。
<使用场合>
"Maybe"的使用比较随性,比如:
A: Are you going to Jane's party?
简的聚会你会去吗?
B: Maybe. You?
也许吧。你去吗?
"Perhaps"则更正式一点,比如:
A: Would it be possible to change my seat number?
可以给我换个座位号吗?
B: Perhaps. Please hold while I check.
也许可以。请稍等,我查一下。
<具体运用>
1. 回答一般疑问句时使用:
A: Do you think you'll get a chance to visit your cousin Mary while you're in town?
你进城时能顺便看一下你玛丽表姐吗?
B: Maybe. It depends on how busy I end up being with work stuff 1.
再说吧。看我到时候的工作完成情况吧。
2. 用在不定冠词("a", "an")和定冠词("the")前:
That's probably a bad decision.
那大概率是个不怎么样的决定。
This is possibly the worst meal I've ever had.
这顿饭可能是我吃过的最差的一次。
I'm maybe an inch taller than him.
我可能比他高一英寸吧。
3. 用在情态动词和be动词之间("could be", "might be", "may be", "should be"):
This could possibly be the last time we ever see each other.
这可能是我俩此生最后一次见面了。
We should probably be thankful that it didn't turn out worse.
也许我们该感恩事情没有向更糟的方向发展。
第二部分 词组表达
与上面四个词偏口语不同,下面这几个词组偏书面。
1. Weather permitting 如果天气状况允许的话
Weather permitting, we will be there on time.
天气状况允许的话,我们会按时到那儿。
The plane lands at midnight, weather permitting.
天气状况允许的话,飞机会在午夜抵达。
2. It is possible that 有可能……
It is possible that you might feel some discomfort 2 after the checkup.
体检之后你可能会有点不适。
3. Depending on circumstances 视情况而定
Honda will resume 3 production in stages, depending on the ongoing 4 circumstances.
视情况发展而定,本田可能会恢复阶段性的生产。
n.原料,材料,东西;vt.填满;吃饱
- We could supply you with the stuff in the raw tomorrow.明天我们可以供应你原材料。
- He is not the stuff.他不是这个材料。
n.不舒服,不安,难过,困难,不方便
- One has to bear a little discomfort while travelling.旅行中总要忍受一点不便。
- She turned red with discomfort when the teacher spoke.老师讲话时她不好意思地红着脸。
v.(中断后)继续,恢复;n.摘要,简历
- We'll stop now and resume at two o 'clock.我们现在停下来,到两点再干。
- My resume shows that I have the right qualifications for the job.我的简历表明我正符合这项工作的条件。
标签:
口语