情满人间的温馨故事 第12期:母亲的礼物(上)
时间:2018-12-06 作者:英语课 分类:情满人间的温馨故事
I grew up in a small town where the elementary school was a ten-minute walk from my house and in an age ,
我是在一个小镇上长大的,从镇上的小学校到我家,只需步行10分钟。
not so long ago , when children could go home for lunch and find their mothers waiting.
离当前不算太太久远的那个时代 ,小学生可以回家吃午饭,而他们的母亲,则会老早在家等候着。
At the time, I did not consider this a luxury, although today it certainly would be.
这一切对如今的孩子来说,无疑是一种奢望,可是那时的我却不以为然。
I took it for granted that mothers were the sandwich-makers, the finger-painting appreciators and the homework monitors.
我觉得做母亲的给她的孩子制作三明治,鉴赏指画,检查他们的家庭作业,都是理所当然的事。
I never questioned that this ambitious, intelligent woman, who had had a career before I was born and would eventually return to a career, would spend almost every lunch hour throughout my elementary school years just with me.
我从来没有想过:像我母亲这样一个颇有抱负又很聪明的女人,在我降生之前,她有一份工作,而且后来她又谋了份差事,可是,在我上小学那几年,她却几乎天天陪着我吃午饭,一同打发午餐时的每一分钟。
I only knew that when the noon bell rang,I would race breathlessly home. My mother would be standing 1 at the top of the stairs, smiling down at me with a look that suggested I was the only important thing she had on her mind.
只记得,每当午时铃声一响,我就一口气地往家里跑。母亲总是站在门前台阶的最高层,笑盈盈地望着我--那神情分明表示:我便是母亲心目中唯一最重要的东西了。
For this, I am forever grateful.
为此,我一辈子都要感谢我的母亲。
Some sounds bring it all back: the highpitched squeal 2 of my mother's teakettle, the rumble 3 of the washing machine in the basement and the jangle of my dog's license 4 tags as she bounded down the stairs to greet me.
如今,每当我听到一些声音,像母亲那把茶壶水开时发出的尖叫声,地下室洗衣机的隆隆声,还有, 我那条狗蹦下台阶冲我摇头摆尾时它脖子上那牌照发出的撞击声,便会勾起我对往事的回忆。
Our time together seemed devoid 5 of the gerrymandered schedules that now pervade 6 my life.
和母亲在一起的岁月,全然没有充斥于我的生活中的、事先排定的虚情假意的日程表。
One lunchtime when I was in the third grade will stay with me always.
我永远忘不了在我上三年级时的那一顿午饭。
I had been picked to be the princess in the school play, and for weeks my mother had painstakingly 7 rehearsed my lines with me.
在那天之前,我被学校选中,要在一个即将演出的小剧中扮演公主的角色。一连好几个礼拜,母亲总是不辞辛劳地陪着我,一起背诵台词。
But no matter how easily I delivered them at home, as soon as I stepped onstage, every word disappeared from my head.
可是,不管在家里怎么背得滚瓜烂熟,只要一上舞台,我的脑子里就成了一片空白。
Finally, my teacher took me aside.
终于,老师把我叫到了一边。
She explained that she had written a narrator's part to the play, and asked me to switch roles.
她说剧中旁白这个角色的台词已写好了,想把我替换下来当旁白。
Her word, kindly 8 delivered, still stung, especially when I saw my part go to another girl.
尽管老师这些话说得和和气气,可还是刺痛了我的心,特别是当我发觉自己扮演的公主角色让另外一个女孩顶替时,更是如此。
I didn't tell my mother what had happened when I went home for lunch that day.
那天回家吃午饭时我没有把这事告诉母亲。
But she sensed my unease, and instead of suggesting we practice my lines, she asked If I wanted to walk in the yard.
然而,母亲见我心神不定,因此没有再提练习背台词的事儿,而是问我愿意不愿意到院子里散散步。
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
- The children gave a squeal of fright.孩子们发出惊吓的尖叫声。
- There was a squeal of brakes as the car suddenly stopped.小汽车突然停下来时,车闸发出尖叫声。
- I hear the rumble of thunder in the distance.我听到远处雷声隆隆。
- We could tell from the rumble of the thunder that rain was coming.我们根据雷的轰隆声可断定,天要下雨了。
- The foreign guest has a license on the person.这个外国客人随身携带执照。
- The driver was arrested for having false license plates on his car.司机由于使用假车牌而被捕。
- He is completely devoid of humour.他十分缺乏幽默。
- The house is totally devoid of furniture.这所房子里什么家具都没有。
- Science and technology have come to pervade every aspect of our lives.科学和技术已经渗透到我们生活的每一个方面。
- The smell of sawdust and glue pervaded the factory.工厂里弥漫着锯屑和胶水的气味。
- Her neighbours spoke of her as kindly and hospitable.她的邻居都说她和蔼可亲、热情好客。
- A shadow passed over the kindly face of the old woman.一道阴影掠过老太太慈祥的面孔。