实战口语情景对话 第269期:The Kiwi 几维鸟
时间:2019-02-20 作者:英语课 分类:实战口语情景对话
英语课
Todd: OK, Leonard, now, when most people think of Kiwi, at least Americans, we think of the fruit.
托德:里昂纳多,大部分人,至少是大部分美国人在说到Kiwi这个词的时候认为是奇异果。
Leo: Right, right. Also in Japan as well.
里奥:没错,的确是这样。当然日本也是这样。
Todd: Oh, really! OK. But, uh, people from New Zealand are called Kiwis not because of the fruit I take it.
托德:哦,真的吗!但是,新西兰人所称的Kiwis并不是我认为的那种水果。
Leo: That's right. That's right. The nickname 1 for New Zealanders is Kiwi, and actually the Kiwi bird... Kiwi is actually a Maori name, and Maori are the native people of New Zealand.
里奥:没错,没错。新西兰的代名词就是几维鸟……几维是毛利语,毛利是新西兰的原住民。
Todd: Oh, wow!
托德:哦,哇!
Leo: And so Kiwi, the pronunciation of Kiwi K-I-W-I KEE-WEE, Maori has similar pronunciation to the Japanese language, ah, ee, uu, eh, oh. They pronounce the vowels 2.
里奥:所以几维鸟,发音是K-I-W-I KEE-WEE,毛利语的发音和日语的发音很相似,ah, ee, uu, eh, oh。他们的元音也是这种发音。
Todd: OK. I'm..what is Kiwi?
托德:嗯。那几维鸟是什么呢?
Leo: A kiwi is a nocturnal bird, which only walks, it doesn't fly.
里奥:几维鸟是一种在夜间活动的鸟,它们只能走路,不会飞。
Todd: OK. So nocturnal means it only comes out at night.
托德:好。那在夜间活动的意思就是它们只在夜晚出来活动吗。
Leo: Right. Right. And in the deep forest. Actually, you'd never see a Kiwi if you went to New Zealand, unless you went to the zoo.
里奥:对,对。而且是在森林深处活动。实际上,如果你去新西兰的话,你是看不到几维鸟的,除非你去动物园。
Todd: Oh, really!
托德:哦,真的吗?
Leo: Right!
里奥:没错!
Todd: OK.
托德:好。
Leo: And the brown Kiwi is the most, uh, rarest of them all. They're only I think, there are less than one thousand brown kiwis left.
里奥:褐几维鸟是数量最稀少的种类。我想,褐几维鸟的现存数量不足1000只。
Todd: Wow. So..
托德:哇。那……
Leo: It can only be found in New Zealand.
里奥:只有新西兰才有。
Todd: Ok. OK. maybe I missed it but can it fly.
托德:好。嗯。我想我刚才好像听漏了,它能飞吗?
Leo: No, no it can't.
里奥:不,不能飞。
Todd: It can't fly.
托德:不能飞呀。
Leo: It can only walk.
里奥:它只能走。
Todd: Wow, so it only comes out at night...in the deep forest and it can't fly.
托德:哇,所以它夜间在森林深处活动,而且不能飞。
Leo: You'd be surprised. If you go to New Zealand, uh, there are over twenty different types of birds that walk.
里奥:你一定感到很吃惊。如果你去新西兰,会看到有20余种不同种类的几维鸟在散步。
Todd: Really! That's fascinating. Well, thanks for telling us about the Kiwi.
托德:真的吗!那真吸引人,谢谢你跟我们分享几维鸟的信息。
Leo: You're welcome.
里奥:不客气。
n.绰号,昵称;v.给...取绰号,叫错名字
- She called me by my nickname.她叫我的外号。
- Why do you fasten such a nickname on her?你为什么给她取这样一个绰号?
标签:
口语