TED演讲:你为何不会成就伟业(3)
时间:2019-02-14 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
And then, of course, another excuse: "Well, I would do this, I would do this, but, but -- well, after all, I'm not weird 1. 然后,当然,另外一个借口:“嗯,我会做这个,我会做这个,但是,但是,嗯,毕竟,我不是个怪人。
Everybody knows that people who pursue their passions are somewhat obsessive 2. 每个人都知道那些追寻自己梦想的人都多少有点强迫症。
A little strange. Hmm? Hmm? Okay? You know, a fine line between madness and genius. 有点奇怪。嗯?嗯?好吧?你知道的,疯子和天才一线之隔。
"I'm not weird. I've read Steven J.'s biography. Oh my goodness -- I'm not that person. 我不是个怪人。我读过Steven J的传记。我的天呐。我不是那种人。
I am nice. I am normal. I'm a nice, normal person, and nice, normal people -- don't have passion." 我是好人。我是正常人。我是正常的好人,而且正常的好人没有梦想。
"Ah, but I still want a great career. I'm not prepared to pursue my passion, so I know what I'm going to do, because I have a solution. 啊。但是我还是想要成就伟业。我还没准备好去追寻梦想,所以我知道我要做什么,因为我有办法。
I have a strategy. It's the one Mommy and Daddy told me about. 我有策略。就是爸爸妈妈告诉过我的那个。
Mommy and Daddy told me that if I worked hard, I'd have a good career. 爸爸妈妈告诉我说如果我努力工作,我会有个不错的事业。
So, if you work hard and have a good career, if you work really, really, really hard, you'll have a great career. 所以,如果你努力工作,而且有个不错的事业,如果你工作特别特别特别努力,你就能成就伟业。
Doesn't that, like, mathematically make sense?" 这在数学上不是也成立么?”
Hmm. Not. But you've managed to talk yourself into that. 嗯...不是的。但是你还是让自己信了这话。
You know what? Here's a little secret: You want to work? You want to work really, really, really hard? You know what? You'll succeed. 你知道么?这有一个小秘密。你想工作?你想工作特别特别特别努力?你知道么?你会成功的。
The world will give you the opportunity to work really, really, really, really hard. 这个世界会给你机会去工作得特别特别特别努力。
But, are you so sure that that's going to give you a great career, when all the evidence is to the contrary? 但是你就那么确信这能让你成就伟业,即使所有的证据都指向另一边?
adj.古怪的,离奇的;怪诞的,神秘而可怕的
- From his weird behaviour,he seems a bit of an oddity.从他不寻常的行为看来,他好像有点怪。
- His weird clothes really gas me.他的怪衣裳简直笑死人。
标签:
TED演讲