时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇


英语课

   I gave this talk at Facebook not so long ago  在脸谱不久前我给


  to about 100 employees,  大约100名员工做这个演讲。
  and a couple hours later, there was a young woman who works 1 there  几小时后,在脸谱工作的一个年轻女性
  sitting outside my little desk,  坐到我小桌子旁边,
  and she wanted to talk to me.  她想和我谈谈。
  I said, okay, and she sat down, and we talked.  我说,好,她坐了下来,我们谈了起来。
  And she said, "I learned 2 something today.  她说,“我今天学了一些东西。
  I learned that I need to keep my hand up."  我知道我需要举起我的手。”
  I said, "What do you mean?"  我说,“你指什么啊?”
  She said, "Well, you're giving this talk,  她说,“你在讲这个话时,
  and you said you were going to take two more questions.  你说你将会回答2个以上问题。
  And I had my hand up with lots of other people, and you took two more questions.  我和其他一些人举起手,你回答了2个以上问题。
  And I put my hand down, and I noticed all the women put their hand down,  我把手放下来,我注意到所有女性都把手放下来,
  and then you took more questions,  然后你又回答了很多问题,
  only from the men."  仅有男性参与。”
  And I thought to myself,  我自己想了一下,
  wow, if it's me -- who cares about this, obviously 3 --  如果换成是我,谁会在乎这个,明显地
  giving this talk --  做这次演讲,
  and during this talk, I can't even notice  在这演讲中,我甚至没注意到
  that the men's hands are still raised,  男人们的手是不是还一直举着,
  and the women's hands are still raised,  女人们的手是不是还一直举着,
  how good are we  我们到底有多出色,
  as managers of our companies and our organizations  当我们作为公司和组织的经理人的时候,
  at seeing that the men are reaching for opportunities  以及当我们作为少数,与男性竞争
  more than women?  争取机会的时候?
  We've got to get women to sit at the table.  我们得让女性坐到桌子边上。
  Message number two:  第二条:
  make your partner a real partner.  让你的伴侣成为一个真正的合作伙伴。
  I've become convinced 4 that we've made more progress in the workforce 5  我已经确信我们在职场
  than we have in the home.  比起我们在家庭中起了更大的作用。
  The data shows this very clearly.  数据也很清楚地表明这点。
  If a woman and a man work full-time  如果一个女性和一个男性同时全职
  and have a child,  并有一个小孩,
  the woman does twice the amount of housework the man does,  女性比起男性要做两倍多家务活儿,
  and the woman does three times  女性比起男性做了三倍多
  the amount of childcare the man does.  照顾婴儿的事。
  So she's got three jobs or two jobs,  所以她有了2份,3份工作,
  and he's got one.  而他只有一份。
  Who do you think drops out when someone needs to be home more?  当有人必须在家多干活时,谁应该留下来?
  The causes of this are really complicated 6,  这个的理由实在太复杂,
  and I don't have time to go into them.  我没有时间来讲它们。
  And I don't think Sunday football-watching  但我也不认为周日看美式足球
  and general laziness is the cause.  和日常的懒惰是理由。
  I think the cause is more complicated.  我认为理由是更加复杂化的。
  I think, as a society,  我认为,作为一个社会,
  we put more pressure on our boys to succeed  我们总是更希望男孩子们成功,
  than we do on our girls.  对女孩子则压力小些。
  I know men that stay home  我知道有居家男人
  and work in the home to support wives with careers,  呆在家里做内务支持职场妻子
  and it's hard.  这很难。
  When I go to the Mommy-and-Me stuff  当我去“妈咪和我”的培训课时,
  and I see the father there,  我看到那里的父亲,
  I notice that the other mommies  我留意到其他妈咪
  don't play with him.  不愿和他相处。
  And that's a problem,  这是个问题,
  because we have to make it as important a job,  因为我们得把内务变成一个重要的工作
  because it's the hardest job in the world to work inside the home,  因为它是世界上最难的工作-居家工作
  for people of both genders,  无论男人女人,
  if we're going to even things out and let women stay in the workforce.  我们只有平分了这些事,女性才可能留在职场。
  Studies show that households with equal earning  研究表明夫妻收入相等、
  and equal responsibility  且夫妻分担责任相当的家庭
  also have half the divorce 7 rate.  也有50%的离婚率。
  And if that wasn't good enough motivation for everyone out there,  如果这数据并不那么鼓舞人,
  they also have more --  还有更多的
  how shall I say this on this stage? --  在这个讲台我该怎么讲呢?
  they know each other more in the biblical sense as well.  夫妻双方对于彼此的了解,不仅是做爱这么简单。

n.作品,著作;工厂,活动部件,机件
  • We expect writers to produce more and better works.我们期望作家们写出更多更好的作品。
  • The novel is regarded as one of the classic works.这篇小说被公认为是最优秀的作品之一。
adj.有学问的,博学的;learn的过去式和过去分词
  • He went into a rage when he learned about it.他听到这事后勃然大怒。
  • In this little village,he passed for a learned man.在这个小村子里,他被视为有学问的人。
adv.显然;明白地
  • Obviously they were putting him to a severe test.显然他们是在给他以严峻的考验。
  • Obviously he was lying.显然他是在撒谎。
adj.确信的;深信的;有坚定信仰的v.使确信(convince的过去分词);说服
  • I am convinced of her innocence. 我坚信她是清白无辜的。
  • I'm convinced there's a jinx on this car. 我看这辆汽车是灾星。
n.劳动大军,劳动力
  • A large part of the workforce is employed in agriculture.劳动人口中一大部分受雇于农业。
  • A quarter of the local workforce is unemployed.本地劳动力中有四分之一失业。
adj.错综复杂的,麻烦的,结构复杂的
  • The poem is so complicated that I cannot make out its meaning.这首诗太复杂,我理解不了它的意思。
  • This is the most complicated case I have ever handled.这是我所处理过的最为复杂的案子。
n.离婚;分离;vi.离婚;vt.离婚;脱离
  • Did he divorce his wife or did she divorce him?是他要和妻子离婚,还是妻子要和他离婚?
  • None of us like the divorce of word and deed.我们都不喜欢言行不一。
标签: TED演讲