欧美名人演讲 第9期:奥巴马2015白宫晚宴(9)
时间:2018-12-05 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲娱乐篇
英语课
We remember the journalists unjustly imprisoned 1 around the world, including our own Jason Rezaian.
我们铭记被不公正的关押在世界各地的记者,包括我们自己的Jason Rezaian。
For nine months, Jason has been imprisoned in Tehran for nothing more than writing about the hopes and the fears of the Iranian people,
九个月来,杰森一直被关押在德黑兰,只不过是因为写出了关于伊朗人民的希望和恐惧,
carrying their stories to the readers of "The Washington Post," in an effort to bridge our common humanity.
把他们的故事带给《华盛顿邮报》的读者,为了构建我们共同的人性桥梁。
As was already mentioned, Jason's brother Ali is here tonight and I have told him personally,
正如已经提到的,杰森的哥哥阿里今晚也在现场,我亲自告诉他,
we will not rest until we bring him home to his family safe and sound.
我们在把他毫发无伤的带回家之前决不会停歇。
These journalists and so many others view their work as more than just a profession,
这些记者,很多人认为他们的工作不仅仅是一种职业,
but as a public good, an indispensable pillar of our society, so I want to give a toast to them.
但同时也是一项公共财产,是我们社会不可或缺的支柱,所以我想敬他们一杯。
I raise a glass to them and all of you, with the words of the American foreign correspondent Dorothy Thompson.
我举杯敬你们所有的人,借用美国驻外记者多萝西·汤普森的话说。
It is not the fact of liberty but the way in which liberty is exercised that ultimately determines whether liberty itself survives.
不是自由的事实,而是行使自由的方式最终决定了自由本身是否存在。
Thank you for your devotion to exercising our liberty and to telling our American story.
感谢您对我们行使自由而作出的贡献,并讲述我们的美国故事。
God bless you.
上帝保佑你们。
God bless the United States of America.
上帝保佑美利坚合众国。
1 imprisoned
下狱,监禁( imprison的过去式和过去分词 )
- He was imprisoned for two concurrent terms of 30 months and 18 months. 他被判处30个月和18个月的监禁,合并执行。
- They were imprisoned for possession of drugs. 他们因拥有毒品而被监禁。
标签:
名人演讲