TED演讲:为什么女性领导那么少?
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
So for any of us in this room today, 今天在座的各位,
let's start out by admitting we're lucky. 我们先承认我们是幸运的。
We don't live in the world 我们没有生活在
our mothers lived in, our grandmothers lived in, 我们母亲和我们祖母生活过的那个世界,
where career choices for women were so limited. 在那时女性的职业选择是非常有限的。
And if you're in this room today, 今天在座的各位,
most of us grew up in a world 大多数人成长于一个
where we had basic civil rights, 女性有基本公民权的世界。
and amazingly, we still live in a world 令人惊讶地是,我们还生活在一个
where some women don't have them. 有些女性还没有这些权利的世界。
But all that aside, we still have a problem, 但除上所述,我们还有一个问题,
and it's a real problem. 它是一个实际问题。
And the problem is this: 这问题是:
Women are not making it 在世界各地,女性没达到
to the top of any profession 任何职业
anywhere in the world. 的高管职位。
The numbers tell the story quite clearly. 这些数据很清楚地告诉我们这实情。
190 heads of state -- 190个国家元首里,
nine are women. 九位是女性领导。
Of all the people in parliament 1 in the world, 在世界上议会的总人数中,
13 percent are women. 13%是女性议员。
In the corporate 2 sector, 在公司部门,
women at the top, 女性占据高位,
C-level jobs, board seats -- C级职位,董事会席位
tops out at 15, 16 percent. 高管职位比例占15%,16%。
The numbers have not moved since 2002 自从2002年起这数据没变化过
and are going in the wrong direction. 有下降趋势。
And even in the non-profit world, 即使在非营利的行业,
a world we sometimes think of 我们有时认为这一行业
as being led by more women, 是被更多女性所领导的,
women at the top: 20 percent. 女性领导人占20%。
We also have another problem, 我们还面临着另一个问题,
which is that women face harder choices 就是女性
between professional success and personal fulfillment. 在职业成功和个人价值实现中所面临的艰难选择。
A recent study in the U.S. 美国最近一个研究
showed that, of married senior managers, 表明,已婚高管人员,
two-thirds of the married men had children 三分之二的已婚男性高管人员有孩子
and only one-third of the married women had children. 只有三分之一的已婚女性高管人员有孩子。
A couple of years ago, I was in New York, 几年前,我在纽约,
and I was pitching a deal, 出席一个协议,
and I was in one of those fancy 3 New York private equity 4 offices 在那种别致的纽约私募投资办事处中的一个
you can picture. 你能想象到的。
And I'm in the meeting -- it's about a three-hour meeting -- 我在这个大约有3小时的会议上,
and two hours in, there kind of needs to be that bio break, 过了2小时,有个间歇休息,
and everyone stands up, 所有人都站起来,
and the partner running the meeting 这会议组织者
starts looking really embarrassed. 开始显得的确很尴尬。
And I realized he doesn't know 我意识到他不知道
where the women's room is in his office. 在他办公室哪里是女洗手间。
So I start looking around for moving boxes, 所以我开始寻找移动厕所,
figuring they just moved in, but I don't see any. 盘算他们刚搬进来,但我没有看到任何移动厕所。
And so I said, "Did you just move into this office?" 然后我说,“你是刚搬到这办公室吗?”
And he said, "No, we've been here about a year." 他说,“不是,我们在这儿已经有一年了。”
And I said, "Are you telling me 我说,“你能否告诉我
that I am the only woman 这一年来,
to have pitched a deal in this office in a year?" 我是唯一一个来这间办公室的女性吗?”
And he looked at me, and he said, 他看着我,说到,
"Yeah. Or maybe you're the only one who had to go to the bathroom." “是的。或者说你可能是唯一一个要上女性洗手间。”
So the question is, 所以问题是,
how are we going to fix this? 我们该怎样解决这样的尴尬?
How do we change these numbers at the top? 我们怎样改变这些高管职位的比例?
How do we make this different? 我们怎样使这个变得不同?
I want to start out by saying, 我首先想说,
I talk about this -- 我谈这个
about keeping women in the workforce 5 -- 女性就职
because I really think that's the answer. 因为我的确认为我们得找到答案。
In the high-income part of our workforce, 在我们劳动力的高收入的部分,
in the people who end up at the top -- 在高管的人员中
Fortune 500 CEO jobs, 财富500强首席执行长官中,
or the equivalent 6 in other industries -- 或在其它类似的高管行业中,
the problem, I am convinced, 我确信,问题
is that women are dropping out. 是女性被排除在外。
Now people talk about this a lot, 当下人们对此谈了很多,
and they talk about things like flextime and mentoring 他们谈到像弹性时间和指导
and programs companies should have to train women. 和公司应该培训妇女的计划的事。
I want to talk about none of that today, 今天我不想谈这些
even though that's all really important. 尽管所有这些事都非常重要。
Today I want to focus on what we can do as individuals. 今天我想关注作为个人我们所能做到的事。
What are the messages we need to tell ourselves? 我们要告诉给自己的事是什么?
What are the messages we tell the women who work with and for us? 我们告诉给女同事和打工的女性的事是什么?
What are the messages we tell our daughters? 我们要告诉给我们女儿的事是什么?
n.议会,国会
- She won a seat in Parliament at the election.她在选举中赢得了议会中的席位。
- The drug was banned by an act of parliament.议会的法案明令禁止该药品。
adj.共同的,全体的;公司的,企业的
- This is our corporate responsibility.这是我们共同的责任。
- His corporate's life will be as short as a rabbit's tail.他的公司的寿命是兔子尾巴长不了。
n.想像力,幻想;喜好,爱;adj.想像的,时髦的,华丽装饰的,奢侈的;技巧的;vt.想象,自认为,喜好
- He seemed to have taken quite a fancy to her.他似乎相当喜欢她。
- I have a fancy that it's going to rain.我想大概要下雨。
n.公正,公平,(无固定利息的)股票
- They shared the work of the house with equity.他们公平地分担家务。
- To capture his equity,Murphy must either sell or refinance.要获得资产净值,墨菲必须出售或者重新融资。
n.劳动大军,劳动力
- A large part of the workforce is employed in agriculture.劳动人口中一大部分受雇于农业。
- A quarter of the local workforce is unemployed.本地劳动力中有四分之一失业。
adj.(to)相等的,等价的;n.相等物,等值物
- Nodding your head is equivalent to saying "yes".点头就等于说“赞同”。
- You will receive the full equivalent of your money.你将收到与你的款项价值完全同等的物品。
标签:
TED演讲