TED演讲:为什么要跟别人一样?(4)
时间:2018-12-05 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲娱乐篇
英语课
By 19, I was a fully-fledged movie actor, but still searching for definition. 当我19岁时,我已经是一个羽翼丰满的电影演员,但却仍在寻找定义。
I applied 1 to read anthropology 2 at university. 我在大学里申请攻读人类学。
Dr. Phyllis Lee gave me my interview, and she asked me, "How would you define race?" Phyllis Lee博士对我进行了面试,她问我:“你怎样定义种族?”
Well, I thought I had the answer to that one, and I said, "Skin color." 嗯,我觉得我有答案,然后我说:“肤色。”
"So biology, genetics?" she said. 她继续问道:“也就是生物学基因上的差异?”
"Because, Thandie, that's not accurate. “因为,桑迪,肤色并不准确。
Because there's actually more genetic 3 difference between a black Kenyan and a black Ugandan 在一个黑皮肤的肯尼亚人和一个黑皮肤的乌干达人之间存在的基因差异,
than there is between a black Kenyan and, say, a white Norwegian. 实际上超过在一个黑皮肤的肯尼亚人和一个,比如说,白皮肤的挪威人之间的差异。
Because we all stem from Africa. So in Africa, there's been more time to create genetic diversity." 因为我们都起源于非洲。所以在非洲更有可能产生基因多样性。”
In other words, race has no basis in biological or scientific fact. 换句话说,种族这一说法并没有生物学或科学基础。
On the one hand, result. Right? On the other hand, my definition of self just lost a huge chunk 4 of its credibility. 一方面,这是结果。对吗?另一方面,我对自我的定义则失去了相当大一部分的可信度。
But what was credible 5, what is biological and scientific fact, is that we all stem from Africa 可以相信的以及生物学和科学事实,就是我们都起源于非洲,
in fact, from a woman called Mitochondrial Eve who lived 160,000 years ago. 实际上,起源于一个叫做线粒体夏娃的女人,她生活在十六万年前。
And race is an illegitimate concept which our selves have created based on fear and ignorance. 种族是一个不合法的概念,是我们自己基于恐惧和无知创造出来的。
1 applied
adj.应用的;v.应用,适用
- She plans to take a course in applied linguistics.她打算学习应用语言学课程。
- This cream is best applied to the face at night.这种乳霜最好晚上擦脸用。
2 anthropology
n.人类学
- I believe he has started reading up anthropology.我相信他已开始深入研究人类学。
- Social anthropology is centrally concerned with the diversity of culture.社会人类学主要关于文化多样性。
3 genetic
adj.遗传的,遗传学的
- It's very difficult to treat genetic diseases.遗传性疾病治疗起来很困难。
- Each daughter cell can receive a full complement of the genetic information.每个子细胞可以收到遗传信息的一个完全补偿物。
标签:
TED演讲