TED演讲:为什么最棒的雇员并没有完美的简历(1)
时间:2018-12-05 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲商业篇
英语课
Your company launches a search for an open position. 你的公司发布了一个公开招聘的职位。
The applications start rolling in, and the qualified 1 candidates are identified. Now the choosing begins. 申请表开始滚滚而来,合格的候选人已被挑选出来。现在开始挑选。
Person A: Ivy 2 League, 4.0, flawless resume, great recommendations. All the right stuff. 候选人A:常春藤盟校,绩点4.0,完美的履历,出色的推荐信。所有好的要素都具备。
Person B: state school, fair amount of job hopping 3, and odd jobs like cashier and singing waitress. 候选人B:公立学校毕业,碾转于各种工作之间,甚至包括做收银员和唱歌的服务生。
But remember -- both are qualified. So I ask you: who are you going to pick? 不过请记得--两位都是符合要求的。所以,我要问问你们:你们会选择哪一位?
My colleagues and I created very official terms to describe two distinct categories of candidates. 我和我的同事发明了一些非常正式的术语,来描述这两个不同类别的候选人。
We call A "the Silver Spoon," the one who clearly had advantages and was destined 4 for success. 我们把A称为“含着银钥匙的人”,一个明显具有优势,而且注定会成功的人。
And we call B "the Scrapper," the one who had to fight against tremendous odds 5 to get to the same point. 我们把B称为“拳击手”,必须努力冲破重重难关才能实现同样的目标。
You just heard a human resources director refer to people as Silver Spoons and Scrappers -- 你们刚刚听到了一个人力资源总监将应聘者比作银汤匙和拳击手
which is not exactly politically correct and sounds a bit judgmental. 这听起来在政治上不太正确,而且还有些武断。
But before my human resources certification gets revoked 6 -- let me explain. 但在我的人力资源证书被吊销前--让我来解释一下。
1 qualified
adj.合格的,有资格的,胜任的,有限制的
- He is qualified as a complete man of letters.他有资格当真正的文学家。
- We must note that we still lack qualified specialists.我们必须看到我们还缺乏有资质的专家。
2 ivy
n.常青藤,常春藤
- Her wedding bouquet consisted of roses and ivy.她的婚礼花篮包括玫瑰和长春藤。
- The wall is covered all over with ivy.墙上爬满了常春藤。
3 hopping
adj.命中注定的;(for)以…为目的地的
- It was destined that they would marry.他们结婚是缘分。
- The shipment is destined for America.这批货物将运往美国。
标签:
TED演讲