异类之不一样的成功启示录 第90期:受益于年代的人们
时间:2019-01-29 作者:英语课 分类:异类:不一样的成功启示录
英语课
"There was this generation of educators in the thirties and forties who would have been in another time and place college professors.
“这些三四十年代的教育工作者,在另外的时代另外的地方可能就能成为大学教授。
They were brilliant, but they couldn't get jobs they wanted, and public teaching was what they did because it was security and it had a pension and you didn't get laid off."
他们才华横溢,但是他们得不到他们想要的职位,在公立机构教学是他们所能接受的工作,因为这很安全,有养老金,而且不会下岗。”
That same dynamic benefited the members of that generation when they went off to college. Here was Ted 1 Friedman, one of the top litigators in New York in 1970s and 1980s.
这样的态势使得那一代人去上大学时也受益,例如特德·弗雷德曼(TedFriedman),他20世纪是七八十年代最有名的律师之一。
Like Flom, he grew up poor, the child of struggling Jewish immigrants.
又比如弗洛姆,一个家境贫寒的犹太移民的后代。
"My options were City College and university of Michigan," Friedman says. City college was free, and Michigan,
“我的选择是城市大学和密歇根大学,”弗雷德曼说。城市大学是免费的,而密歇根大学,
then, as now, one of the top universities in the United States, was $450 a year.
现在是美国最顶尖的大学之一,那时的学费是一年450美元。
"And the thing was, after the first year, you could get a scholarship if your grades were high," Freedman said.
“事实上,一年之后,如果你的成绩好的话,你就可以获得奖学金。”弗雷德曼说,
"So it was only the first year I had to pay that, if I did well."
“也就是说,如果我的成绩好的话,我只是第一年才需要付学费。”
Friedman's first inclination 2 was to stay in New York.
弗雷德曼最开始的意向是留在纽约。
"Well, I went to city college for one day, I didn't like it.
“我去了城市大学,在那里呆了一天,感觉非常不喜欢。
I thought, This is going to be four more years of Bronx Science, the high school he had attended, and I came home, packed my bags, and hitch 3 hiked to Ann Arbor 4."
我觉得这就像在布朗克斯科技学校(弗雷德曼的高中学校)再待四年一样,于是我收拾了一下行囊,搭着别人的便车,就去了安娜堡。”
I had a couple of hundred dollars in my pocket from the summer. He went on.
他继续说道:整个夏天,我的口袋里也才200多美元。
I was working at Catskills to make enough to pay the $450 tuition, and I had some left over.
为了赚够450美元的学费,我曾在卡茨吉尔区(Catskills)工作,交完学费之后,我口袋里还剩下这么些钱。
Then there was this fancy restaurant in Ann Arbor where I got a job waiting tables. I also worked the night shift at River Rouge 5, the big Ford 6 plant.
然后,我在安娜堡一家别具一格的餐馆里做服务生,晚上我还到位于红河区(RiverRouge)的福特工厂去打工。
That was real money. It wasn't so hard to get that job. The factories were looking for people.
那时得到的都是现金,找到那样一份差事也并不难,工厂一直在招人。
I had another job too which paid me the best pay I ever had before I became a lawyer, which was working in construction. During the summer, in Ann Arbor, we built the Chrysler proving grounds.
我还有另一份工作,这份工作是在我成为一名律师以前报酬最高的——在建筑工地打工。在安娜堡的整个夏天,我们都在建造克莱斯勒测试场。
I worked there a few summers during law school.
在法学院上学的夏天,我就到那打工。
Those jobs were really high paying, probably because you worked so much overtime 7.
这些工作的报酬很高,也许是因为加班加点干活的缘故。
vt.翻晒,撒,撒开
- The invaders gut ted the village.侵略者把村中财物洗劫一空。
- She often teds the corn when it's sunny.天好的时候她就翻晒玉米。
n.倾斜;点头;弯腰;斜坡;倾度;倾向;爱好
- She greeted us with a slight inclination of the head.她微微点头向我们致意。
- I did not feel the slightest inclination to hurry.我没有丝毫着急的意思。
v.免费搭(车旅行);系住;急提;n.故障;急拉
- They had an eighty-mile journey and decided to hitch hike.他们要走80英里的路程,最后决定搭便车。
- All the candidates are able to answer the questions without any hitch.所有报考者都能对答如流。
n.凉亭;树木
- They sat in the arbor and chatted over tea.他们坐在凉亭里,边喝茶边聊天。
- You may have heard of Arbor Day at school.你可能在学校里听过植树节。
n.胭脂,口红唇膏;v.(在…上)擦口红
- Women put rouge on their cheeks to make their faces pretty.女人往面颊上涂胭脂,使脸更漂亮。
- She didn't need any powder or lip rouge to make her pretty.她天生漂亮,不需要任何脂粉唇膏打扮自己。
n.浅滩,水浅可涉处;v.涉水,涉过
- They were guarding the bridge,so we forded the river.他们驻守在那座桥上,所以我们只能涉水过河。
- If you decide to ford a stream,be extremely careful.如果已决定要涉过小溪,必须极度小心。