礼节美语 Business Etiquette 067
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他在走廊上遇到了美国同事Amy。
(Office ambience)
C:Amy, 你有时间吗?
A:Sure. What's up?
C:我刚才收到部门经理Mae的电话留言,她说我们在留言机上的留话千篇一律,应该考虑如何改变一下。
A:I haven't checked my voice mail yet. I have been out of the office so I haven't heard her message.
C:我简单告诉你一下吧?
A:I'm all ears!
C:她建议,我们不用说,“我不在办公室或是正在另外一条线上”,因为你不说,别人也知道。
A:What are we supposed to say?
C:不如改为告诉对方你在哪里,比如说去开会了,三点回来,让别人知道几点钟能找到你,或是能接到你的回电。
A:I always try to let people know when I am away from the office for a few days.
C:对了,Mae还建议,如果好几天不在办公室的话,可以在留言里说明,你什么时候有机会查留言,回电话。
A:Did she say more?
C:Mae还说,如果你不在办公室,可以把临时联络人的电话和姓名留在留言机里。
A:I've had people do that and when I called the other person, she wasn't in so I found myself in another voice mail. That's annoying.
C:没错,所以要事先弄清楚临时联络人是否会在办公室里。Mae还有不少建议,我一时记不起来了,你还是自己去听听吧。
******
当天晚些时候。陈豪和Amy又见面了。
A:Wow, Mae made some other good points about our greetings. I get tired of hearing "Your call is very important to me." I agree that we should drop that phrase 1, especially when it often lacks sincerity 2.
C:对啊,“你的电话对我很重要”根本就是废话。还有就是“我很遗憾没有接到你的电话 -- "I am sorry I missed your call." 有那个时间,还不如说点有用的。
A:I usually tell people that I will call them back as soon as possible. Mae says to avoid saying, "I'll call you back as soon as possible." A simple "I'll call you back" is all that is needed.
C:你觉得Mae说的有道理吗?
A:It's clear to me that we all have fallen into a rut, by leaving a greeting that sounds as if we are reading from a script 3.
C:确实是有些千篇一律。那我们应该怎么做呢?
A:What we need to do is update our greeting on a regular basis so callers 4 know that we are attentive 5 to our message system.
C:我们还应该保证尽快回电。
A:But we don't need to take up more time than necessary.
C:好,我这就去改我的电话留言,就说 "Hello, this is Chen Hao. I will be in the office today. Please leave a message and I will call you back.”
A:Sounds good to me.
- The phrase was caught on and immediately became popular.这个短语被采用后很快就流行了。
- That's exactly the phrase I was looking for.这就是我一直找的那个短语。
- His sincerity added much more authority to the story.他的真诚更增加了故事的说服力。
- He tried hard to satisfy me of his sincerity.他竭力让我了解他的诚意。
- It's easy to identify his script.他的笔迹容易辨认。
- The script is massaged into final form.这篇稿子经过修改已定稿。
- He is one of the regular callers here. 他是此地的常客之一。
- A good telephone voice can do much to improve the temper of irate callers. 电话中悦耳的声音可以大大消减通话人的怒气。