TED演讲:试验 排除错误和万能神力(4)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
Well let me give you an example. 让我来给你们一个例子。
Imagine for a moment that, instead of Tim Harford in front of you, there was Hans Rosling presenting his graphs. 你们想象一下,现在如果站在你们面前的不是我,而是汉斯·罗斯林在展示他的图表。
You know Hans: the Mick Jagger of TED 1. 你们知道汉斯: TED的米克·贾格尔。
And he'd be showing you these amazing statistics, these amazing animations 2. And they are brilliant; it's wonderful work. 他给你们展示了这些神奇的数据,神奇的动画。它们很出色,很棒的研究结果
But a typical Hans Rosling graph: think for a moment, not what it shows, but think instead about what it leaves out. 但是汉斯的图表:想一下,不是那些已经展示的,而是想一下那些没有被展示的。
So it'll show you GDP per capita, population, longevity 3, that's about it. 是,里面包括了人均国内生产总值,人口,寿命,就这些。
So three pieces of data for each country -- three pieces of data. 每个国家三个数据——三个数据。
Three pieces of data is nothing. I mean, have a look at this graph. This is produced by the physicist 4 Cesar Hidalgo. He's at MIT. 三个数据什么都不是,我是说,请看一下这张图。这张图是物理学家塞萨尔·伊达尔戈制作的,他在麻省理工工作。
Now you won't be able to understand a word of it, but this is what it looks like. 你一个字也不懂,但是它看上去是这个样子的。
Cesar has trolled the database of over 5,000 different products, 塞萨尔用数据库搜索 5000个不同的产品,
and he's used techniques of network analysis to interrogate 5 this database and to graph relationships between the different products. 他用网络分析的技术,提取分析数据,并用图表来表示不同产品间的关系。
And it's wonderful, wonderful work. You show all these interconnections, all these interrelations. 那是非常非常好的工作,展示了所有这些互相的关系和链接。
And I think it'll be profoundly useful in understanding how it is that economies grow. Brilliant work. 我想这些对理解经济怎样增长,是极其有用的,是杰作。
Cesar and I tried to write a piece for The New York Times Magazine explaining how this works. 塞萨尔和我试着想要给纽约时代杂志,写一篇稿子描述这个工作。
And what we learned is Cesar's work is far too good to explain in The New York Times Magazine. 我们发现 塞萨尔的研究成果远不是一篇,纽约时代杂志的文章可以描述得清楚的。
vt.翻晒,撒,撒开
- The invaders gut ted the village.侵略者把村中财物洗劫一空。
- She often teds the corn when it's sunny.天好的时候她就翻晒玉米。
n.生气( animation的名词复数 );兴奋;动画片;(指电影、录像、电脑游戏的)动画制作
- You'll see your team cheerleaders and mascot performing new animations as well. 你会看到啦啦队队长跟吉祥物也都会有全新的动作。 来自互联网
- Ability to create simple movie and animations using graphic & multimedia software. 能够用平面和多媒体软件制作简单的电影及动画。 来自互联网
n.长命;长寿
- Good habits promote longevity.良好的习惯能增长寿命。
- Human longevity runs in families.人类的长寿具有家族遗传性。
n.物理学家,研究物理学的人
- He is a physicist of the first rank.他是一流的物理学家。
- The successful physicist never puts on airs.这位卓有成就的物理学家从不摆架子。
vt.讯问,审问,盘问
- The lawyer took a long time to interrogate the witness fully.律师花了很长时间仔细询问目击者。
- We will interrogate the two suspects separately.我们要对这两个嫌疑人单独进行审讯。
标签:
TED演讲