TED演讲:为什么我们需要与陌生人交流(6)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
In Egypt, I'm told, it's rude to ignore a stranger, 在埃及,有人告诉我,无视陌生人是十分没有礼貌的做法,
and there's a remarkable 1 culture of hospitality 2. 并且有很多关于友善的文化。
Strangers might ask each other for a sip 3 of water. 陌生人之间可以分享饮用水,
Or, if you ask someone for directions, they're very likely to invite you home for coffee. 或者如果你向当地人问路,他们很有可能会邀请你到家里喝杯咖啡。
We see these unwritten rules most clearly when they're broken, 只有当这些规矩被打破的时候,
or when you're in a new place and you're trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. 或者我们在新环境中想要入乡随俗,才会注意到这些本来习以为常的规矩。
Sometimes breaking the rules a little bit is where the action is. 有时候稍微破坏一下规矩就可以发现正确的举动。
In case it's not clear, I really want you to do this. OK? 万一正确的举动并不是那么明确,我很希望你们能这样做。
So here's how it's going to go. 可以试着这样寻求帮助。
Find somebody who is making eye contact. That's a good signal. 找一个和你在进行眼神交流的人。有眼神交流是一个很好的信号。
The first thing is a simple smile. 你首先要做的是微微一笑。
If you're passing somebody on the street or in the hallway here, smile. See what happens. 如果你在街道上或是走廊里与人擦肩而过,微笑一下,看看会发生什么。
Another is triangulation. There's you, there's a stranger, 另外要做的一件事是三角评估。在这个三角形中有你,一个陌生人,
there's some third thing that you both might see and comment on, 以及一件你们都能看到或者评价的物品,
like a piece of public art or somebody preaching 4 in the street or somebody wearing funny clothes. 比如说一件艺术展品,或者是在街道上传教的人,或者是衣着滑稽的人。
Give it a try. Make a comment about that third thing, and see if starts a conversation. 试试看。对第三件事情稍加点评,看能不能开始一段对话。
adj.显著的,异常的,非凡的,值得注意的
- She has made remarkable headway in her writing skills.她在写作技巧方面有了长足进步。
- These cars are remarkable for the quietness of their engines.这些汽车因发动机没有噪音而不同凡响。
n.好客,殷勤;adj.(气候等)宜人,适宜
- He welcomed you to enjoy his hospitality.他欢迎你去做客。
- Thank you for your kind hospitality.谢谢你的盛情款待。
v.小口地喝,抿,呷;n.一小口的量
- She took a sip of the cocktail.她啜饮一口鸡尾酒。
- Elizabeth took a sip of the hot coffee.伊丽莎白呷了一口热咖啡。
标签:
TED演讲