TED演讲:为什么我们需要与陌生人交流(2)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
For a minute, I felt like my existence as a person had been noticed, and I was worth saving. 有那么一会儿,我觉得我的存在被人注意到了,并且我是值得被拯救的。
The really sad thing is, in many parts of the world, 但让人遗憾的是,在世界的很多地方,
we're raised to believe that strangers are dangerous by default 1, 我们受到的教育让我们相信,陌生人都是危险的,
that we can't trust them, that they might hurt us. 我们不能相信他们,因为他们可能会伤害到我们。
But most strangers aren't dangerous. 但是大多数陌生人并不危险。
We're uneasy 2 around them because we have no context 3. 我们在他们身边会感到不安,是因为不了解他们的背景。
We don't know what their intentions are. 我们不知道他们的意图何在。
So instead of using our perceptions 4 and making choices, we rely on this category of "stranger." 所以我们依赖于“陌生人”这个范畴,而不是自己的觉察力和决策力。
I have a four-year-old. When I say hello to people on the street, she asks me why. 我有一个四岁的小孩。当我在路上与别人打招呼时,她问我为什么要这样做。
She says, "Do we know them?" I say, "No, they're our neighbor." 她问:“我们认识他们吗?”我说:“不,他们是邻居。”
"Are they our friend?" "No, it's just good to be friendly." 她问:“他们是我们的朋友吗?”我回答:“不,但是我们应该为人友善。”
I think twice every time I say that to her, 每当我对她这样说的时候,我都会反复思量,
because I mean it, but as a woman, particularly, 因为我真的是这样认为的,然而作为一名女性,
I know that not every stranger on the street has the best intentions. 我尤其知道并不是每一个陌生人都有好的企图。
It is good to be friendly, and it's good to learn when not to be, 对别人友善是好的,而学习判断何时不该这样也是对的,
but none of that means we have to be afraid. 但不管哪一种,都不意味着我们要对他们心怀恐惧。
There are two huge benefits to using our senses instead of our fears. 依靠感觉而不是恐惧,可以为我们带来两个巨大的好处。
n./v.拖欠,违约,欠缺,默认,缺省
- He lost the world title by default.他由于弃权而失去了世界冠军的称号。
- In default of experts' help,we shall have to rely on our own efforts.没有专家的帮助,我们将只得依靠自己的力量。
adj.心神不安的,担心的,令人不安的
- He feels uneasy today.他今天心里感到不安。
- She had an uneasy feeling that they were still following her.她有一种他们仍在跟踪她的不安感觉。
n.背景,环境,上下文,语境
- You can always tell the meaning of a word from its context.你常可以从上下文中猜出词义来。
- This sentence does not seem to connect with the context.这个句子似乎与上下文脱节。
感知(能力)( perception的名词复数 ); 觉察(力); 认识; 观念
- Her perceptions and intuitions about human nature were fascinating. 她对人性的理解和感知引人入胜。
- There was no inside to Whitman's perceptions. 惠特曼的直觉里没有内涵。
标签:
TED演讲