TED演讲:献给所有迷失在这个时代的人(5)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
I heard all of these things, but I didn't listen. 这些事都经过了我的耳朵,可惜我没有去仔细倾听。
I looked but didn't see. I read, didn't understand. 我看了,但是没看见。我读了,可是没理解。
I paid attention only when you began to vote and shout, 只有当你们去投票,去喊叫,只有当事情本身开始
and when your voting and shouting, when the substance of it, began to threaten me. 威胁到我自身的时候,我才会去注意到。
I listened only when you moved toward shattering continental 1 unions and electing vulgar demagogues. 只有当你们前往各处大陆工会,当你们成为选举煽动者的时候,我才会真正听见。
Only then did your pain become of interest to me. 只有到那时候,你们的痛苦才能被我注意。
I know that feeling hurt is often prologue 2 to dealing 3 hurt. 我知道感到难受经常是解决问题序幕。
I wonder now if you would be less eager to deal it 我在想,若现在我和你们身处同一战线,
if I had stood with you when you merely felt it. 而你仅仅是感觉到了,你们会因此就不想去处理它吗?
I ask myself why I didn't stand with you then. 我质问自己,为什么没有和你站在一起。
One reason is that I became entranced by the gurus of change, 一个原因是我着迷于改变,
became a worshiper of the religion of the new for novelty's sake, 为了创新成为新新事物理念,
and of globalization and open borders and kaleidoscopic 4 diversity. 成为全球化和开放性,成为多样性的拥护者。
Once change became my totalizing faith, I could be blind. 一旦“改变”成为了我的信仰,我就开始变得盲目。
adj.大陆的,大陆性的,欧洲大陆的
- A continental climate is different from an insular one.大陆性气候不同于岛屿气候。
- The most ancient parts of the continental crust are 4000 million years old.大陆地壳最古老的部分有40亿年历史。
n.开场白,序言;开端,序幕
- A poor wedding is a prologue to misery.不幸的婚姻是痛苦的开始。
- The prologue to the novel is written in the form of a newspaper account.这本小说的序言是以报纸报道的形式写的。
n.经商方法,待人态度
- This store has an excellent reputation for fair dealing.该商店因买卖公道而享有极高的声誉。
- His fair dealing earned our confidence.他的诚实的行为获得我们的信任。
adj.千变万化的
- London is a kaleidoscopic world.伦敦是个天花筒般的世界。
- The transfer of administrative personnel in that colony was so frequent as to create kaleidoscopic effect.在那个殖民地,官员调动频繁,就象走马灯似的。
标签:
TED演讲