TED演讲:树木之间如何交流(1)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
Imagine you're walking through a forest. 想象你正穿行在森林中。
I'm guessing you're thinking of a collection of trees, 我猜你想的是一大片树,
what we foresters call a stand, with their rugged 1 stems and their beautiful crowns. 我们林业工作者称之为“林分”,它们有着遒劲的枝干,和美丽的树冠。
Yes, trees are the foundation of forests, but a forest is much more than what you see, 是的,树是森林的基础,但是森林可比你看到的复杂多了,
and today I want to change the way you think about forests. 而今天我想改变一下你们对森林的看法。
You see, underground there is this other world, 你知道吗,森林的地下是另外一个世界,
a world of infinite biological pathways that connect trees and allow them to communicate 一个拥有无限的生物通路的世界,这些通路把树木连接起来,使得它们可以彼此沟通,
and allow the forest to behave as though it's a single organism. 也使森林表现得好像一个单独的有机体。
It might remind you of a sort of intelligence. 这可能会让你想到某种程度的智慧。
How do I know this? Here's my story. 我是怎么知道这些的呢?来听听我的故事吧。
I grew up in the forests of British Columbia. 我是在不列颠哥伦比亚省(加拿大)的森林中长大的。
I used to lay on the forest floor and stare up at the tree crowns. 那时我总喜欢躺在森林的地面上,向上望着那些树冠。
They were giants. My grandfather was a giant, too. 它们都是巨人。我的祖父也是个巨人。
He was a horse logger, and he used to selectively cut cedar 2 poles from the inland rainforest. 他是一名伐木工,他以前曾在内陆雨林有选择性地砍伐杉木。
Grandpa taught me about the quiet and cohesive 3 ways of the woods, and how my family was knit into it. 爷爷教会我了解树木间安静而紧密连接的沟通方式,以及我们家族是如何融入其中的。
So I followed in grandpa's footsteps. 所以我也追随了爷爷的脚步。
He and I had this curiosity about forests, 他和我都有关于森林的好奇心,
and my first big "aha" moment was at the outhouse by our lake. 我的第一次“顿悟”时刻是在我们湖边的外屋的时候。
adj.高低不平的,粗糙的,粗壮的,强健的
- Football players must be rugged.足球运动员必须健壮。
- The Rocky Mountains have rugged mountains and roads.落基山脉有崇山峻岭和崎岖不平的道路。
n.雪松,香柏(木)
- The cedar was about five feet high and very shapely.那棵雪松约有五尺高,风姿优美。
- She struck the snow from the branches of an old cedar with gray lichen.她把长有灰色地衣的老雪松树枝上的雪打了下来。
标签:
TED演讲