TED演讲:性格的迷思--你究竟是谁(10)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
Sometimes we may find that we don't take care of ourselves. 有时候我们对自己太狠。
I find, for example, after a period of pseudo-extroverted behavior, 我发现自己在假装外向性格一段时间之后,
I need to repair somewhere on my own. 我需要自己躲起来疗伤。
As Susan Cain said in her "Quiet" book, 就像苏珊·凯恩在《安静》这本书中所写,
in a chapter that featured the strange Canadian professor who was teaching at the time at Harvard, 其中一章提到一位古怪的加拿大教授,当时他在哈佛大学教书,
I sometimes go to the men's room to escape the slings 2 and arrows of outrageous 3 extroverts 4. 他有时候会跑到男厕所,为了躲避烦人的外向者投来的明枪暗箭。
I remember one particular day when I was retired 5 to a cubicle 6, trying to avoid overstimulation. 有一次我自己也躲进了小隔间,为了暂避外界纷扰。
And a real extrovert 1 came in beside me -- not right in my cubicle, but in the next cubicle over 这时来了一个外向者到我旁边,当然不是在一个小隔间,是在我旁边的小隔间
and I could hear various evacuatory noises, 我听见了一连串物体落水的声音,
which we hate -- even our own, that's why we flush during as well as after. 这声音是很烦人的,哪怕是我们自己的,所以我们才会在上大号的中途也冲水。
And then I heard this gravelly voice saying, 随后我就听到了一个沙哑的声音,
"Hey, is that Dr. Little?" “嘿,请问是利特尔博士吗?”
If anything is guaranteed to constipate an introvert 7 for six months, it's talking on the john. 如果有什么事情能让内向者便秘6个月,那一定是在上大号的时候聊天。
That's where I'm going now. Don't follow me. Thank you. 我现在就想去洗手间静静。别跟着我。谢谢您啦。
n.性格外向的人
- A good salesman is usually an extrovert,who likes to mingle with people.一个好的推销员通常很外向,喜欢和人们交往。
- Do you think you're an extrovert or introvert?你认为你是个性外向的人还是个性内向的人?
抛( sling的第三人称单数 ); 吊挂; 遣送; 押往
- "Don't you fear the threat of slings, Perched on top of Branches so high?" 矫矫珍木巅,得无金丸惧? 来自英汉 - 翻译样例 - 文学
- Used for a variety of things including slings and emergency tie-offs. 用于绳套,设置保护点,或者紧急情况下打结。
adj.无理的,令人不能容忍的
- Her outrageous behaviour at the party offended everyone.她在聚会上的无礼行为触怒了每一个人。
- Charges for local telephone calls are particularly outrageous.本地电话资费贵得出奇。
性格外向的人( extrovert的名词复数 ); 活跃、愉快、爱交际的人
- In the second half, the students were criticized. Extroverts were unfazed. 在后半部分,举不动时学生要受批评,外向性格的学生表现出不满。 来自英汉非文学 - 生命科学 - 大脑与疾病
- Extroverts prefer lively conversation to brooding on the meaning of life. 性格外向的人喜欢高谈阔论,而不愿思索人生的意义。
adj.隐退的,退休的,退役的
- The old man retired to the country for rest.这位老人下乡休息去了。
- Many retired people take up gardening as a hobby.许多退休的人都以从事园艺为嗜好。
n.大房间中隔出的小室
- She studies in a cubicle in the school library.她在学校图书馆的小自习室里学习。
- A technical sergeant hunches in a cubicle.一位技术军士在一间小屋里弯腰坐着。
标签:
TED演讲