TED演讲:格格不入者的心声(1)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科学篇
英语课
So I know TED 1 is about a lot of things that are big, 我知道TED总是谈一些大事
but I want to talk to you about something very small. 但是我想讲一件微不足道的小事
So small, it's a single word. 小到只有一个词
The word is "misfit." “不适者。”
It's one of my favorite words, because it's so literal. 这是我最喜欢的词,因为简单明了
I mean, it's a person who sort of missed fitting in. 这样的人是一个无法融入,
Or a person who fits in badly. 或者融入得很差的人,
Or this: "a person who is poorly adapted to new situations and environments." 或者“一个很难适应新位置和新环境的人。”
I'm a card-carrying misfit. 我是真正的不适者。
And I'm here for the other misfits in the room, 我代表其他屋子里的不适者站在这里,
because I'm never the only one. 因为我不是一个人。
I'm going to tell you a misfit story. 我将讲述一个不适者的故事。
Somewhere in my early 30s, 在我三十岁出头的时候,
the dream of becoming a writer came right to my doorstep. 成为作家的梦想在向我招手。
Actually, it came to my mailbox in the form of a letter 准确地说我在我的邮箱里发现了一封信,
that said I'd won a giant literary prize for a short story I had written. 信上说我写的小说为我赢得了一份大奖。
The short story was about my life as a competitive swimmer and about my crappy home life, 小说讲述了一名历经糟糕的家庭生活的优秀的游泳运动员的故事,
and a little bit about how grief and loss can make you insane. 还有一些关于悲痛和困惑如何让人抓狂的情节。
The prize was a trip to New York City to meet big-time editors and agents and other authors. 赢得的奖励是去纽约和知名的编辑、代理,和其他作家见面。
So kind of it was the wannabe writer's dream, right? 这是每个作家的梦想,对吧?
You know what I did the day the letter came to my house? 各位知道我看到信后做了什么吗?
Because I'm me, 因为我是不适者,
I put the letter on my kitchen table, 我把信放在厨房桌子上,
I poured myself a giant glass of vodka with ice and lime, 给自己倒了一大杯加了冰和柠檬的伏特加,
and I sat there in my underwear for an entire day, just staring at the letter. 就这样穿着内衣看着那封信坐了一整天。
标签:
TED演讲