TED演讲:来自阿拉伯女商人的成功经验(3)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲商业篇
英语课
In my previous job, well before my current firm, 在进入我现在这间公司之前,在我的工作中,
I was working with a man, we will call John. 我与一个男人共事,我们称他约翰好了。
I had teamed up with John and was working hard, 我跟约翰组成一组,很努力地工作,
hoping he would notice how great I was 希望他能注意到我很能干。
and that he would come to support my case to make partner at the firm. 而他能够帮助我的业务并成为我的公司伙伴。
I was, in addition to delivering on my consulting projects, 此外,我正集中完成我的咨询项目,
writing passionately 1 on the topic of women economic empowerment. 情绪激昂地着手写着关于女性经济自主的主题。
One day, I got to present my research to a roomful of MBA students. 有一天,我给满屋子的工商管理学的硕士生呈现我的研究成果。
John was part of the audience listening for the first time to the details of my study. 约翰是第一次聆听我的研究细节其中的一名听众。
As I proceeded with my presentation, I could see John in the corner of my eye. 当我在进行陈述时,我眼角可以看到约翰。
He had turned a dark shade of pink and had slid under his chair in apparent shame. 他的脸变成暗粉红色,因为明显的羞愧而滑下他的椅子。
I finished my presentation to an applauding audience 我在充满掌声的观众中完成了演讲,
and we rushed out and jumped into the car. There he exploded. 而我们快速离开并跳上车子。在那里他大发雷霆。
"What you did up there was unacceptable! You are a consultant 2, not an activist 3!" “你做的事情是不可接受的!你是个顾问,不是个激进主义分子!”
I said, "John, I don't understand. 我说“约翰,我不明白。
I presented a couple of gender 4 parity 5 indices, and some conclusions about the Arab world. 我展示了数个性别待遇平等指数,和一些关于阿拉伯世界的结论。
Yes, we do happen to be today at the bottom of the index, 是的,我们现在碰巧地是在这指数的底部,
but what is it that I said or presented that was not factual?" 但是有什么我说的是不符合事实的地方吗?”
To which he replied, "The whole premise 6 of your study is wrong. 他回答,“你研究的所有前提都是错的。
What you are doing is dangerous and will break the social fabric 7 of our society." 你正在做的事情很危险而且将会破坏我们的社会结构。”
He paused, then added, "When women have children, their place is in the home." 他停了下来,又补充道,“当女人有小孩,她们归属就是在家里面。”
ad.热烈地,激烈地
- She could hate as passionately as she could love. 她能恨得咬牙切齿,也能爱得一往情深。
- He was passionately addicted to pop music. 他酷爱流行音乐。
n.顾问;会诊医师,专科医生
- He is a consultant on law affairs to the mayor.他是市长的一个法律顾问。
- Originally,Gar had agreed to come up as a consultant.原来,加尔只答应来充当我们的顾问。
n.活动分子,积极分子
- He's been a trade union activist for many years.多年来他一直是工会的积极分子。
- He is a social activist in our factory.他是我厂的社会活动积极分子。
n.(生理上的)性,(名词、代词等的)性
- French differs from English in having gender for all nouns.法语不同于英语,所有的名词都有性。
- Women are sometimes denied opportunities solely because of their gender.妇女有时仅仅因为性别而无法获得种种机会。
n.平价,等价,比价,对等
- The two currencies have now reached parity.这两种货币现已达到同等价值。
- Women have yet to achieve wage or occupational parity in many fields.女性在很多领域还没能争取到薪金、职位方面的平等。
n.前提;v.提论,预述
- Let me premise my argument with a bit of history.让我引述一些史实作为我立论的前提。
- We can deduce a conclusion from the premise.我们可以从这个前提推出结论。
标签:
TED演讲