时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇


英语课

   Okay, what were the telltale signs? Well first we heard what's known as a non-contracted denial.  好,破绽是哪些呢?首先,我们听到一个正式的否定形式。


  Studies show that people who are overdetermined in their denial will resort to formal rather than informal language.  研究表明人们在过度强调否认时,喜欢使用较为正式的语言。
  We also heard distancing language: "that woman."  我们还听到“那个女人”这种遥指性的措辞。
  We know that liars 1 will unconsciously distance themselves from their subject, using language as their tool.  我们知道骗子们会不经意地疏远话中的主语,借用语言来达此目的。
  Now if Bill Clinton had said, "Well, to tell you the truth..." or Richard Nixon's favorite,  如果克林顿说的是:“哎,实话告诉你吧……”或者用到尼克松总统的口头禅:
  "In all candor 2..." he would have been a dead giveaway for any liespotter that knows that qualifying language, as it's called, qualifying language like that, further discredits 3 the subject.   “实话跟你说……”他立马就会在识谎者面前露出马脚,因为识谎者知道这种被称为修饰语的话更能暴露谎言。
  Now if he had repeated the question in its entirety, or if he had peppered his account with a little too much detail -- and we're all really glad he didn't do that -- he would have further discredited 4 himself. 如果他完整地将问题重复一遍或者他暴露过多细节,幸好他没这么做,那他的话就更不可信了。
  Freud had it right. Freud said, look, there's much more to it than speech: "No mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters 6 with his fingertips."  弗洛伊德说对了。弗洛伊德说:瞧,话中确实有话,“没有人能保守住秘密。他的嘴闭上了,他的指尖却在说谎。”
  And we all do it no matter how powerful you are. We all chatter 5 with our fingertips.  我们都是这样。不管你有多厉害,我们的指尖都会把我们出卖。
  I'm going to show you Dominique Strauss-Kahn with Obama who's chattering 7 with his fingertips. 我下面给你们看多米尼克·斯特劳斯-卡恩与奥巴马,奥巴马的指尖就出卖了他自己。

说谎者( liar的名词复数 )
  • The greatest liars talk most of themselves. 最爱自吹自擂的人是最大的说谎者。
  • Honest boys despise lies and liars. 诚实的孩子鄙视谎言和说谎者。
n.坦白,率真
  • He covered a wide range of topics with unusual candor.他极其坦率地谈了许多问题。
  • He and his wife had avoided candor,and they had drained their marriage.他们夫妻间不坦率,已使婚姻奄奄一息。
使不相信( discredit的第三人称单数 ); 使怀疑; 败坏…的名声; 拒绝相信
  • His theories met with general discredits. 他的理论遭到普遍怀疑。
  • The man who discredits the supreme certainty of mathematics is feeding on confusion. 一个人如怀疑数学的极端可靠性就是陷入混乱。
不足信的,不名誉的
  • The reactionary authorities are between two fires and have been discredited. 反动当局弄得进退维谷,不得人心。
  • Her honour was discredited in the newspapers. 她的名声被报纸败坏了。
vi./n.喋喋不休;短促尖叫;(牙齿)打战
  • Her continuous chatter vexes me.她的喋喋不休使我烦透了。
  • I've had enough of their continual chatter.我已厌烦了他们喋喋不休的闲谈。
(人)喋喋不休( chatter的第三人称单数 ); 唠叨; (牙齿)打战; (机器)震颤
  • The dabbler in knowledge chatters away; the wise man stays silent. 一瓶子不响,半瓶子晃荡。
  • An improperly adjusted tool chatters. 未调好的工具震颤作响。
标签: TED演讲
学英语单词