商务礼节美语第130期:当你的好朋友成为你的老板
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:商务礼节美语
When Your Best Friend Becomes Your Boss
当你的好朋友成为你的老板
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作,美国同事Amy到办公室去找他。
(Office ambience)
A: Good morning, Chen Hao..
CH: Hi Amy.
A: I heard your best friend Brad got a promotion 1. Is that true?
CH: 没错。Brad如今是我的老板了。
A: That can make things awkward.
CH: 是啊,我们俩儿从好朋友一下子变成了上下级的关系,还真不好办。
A: I think you will be able to work it out since you already recognize that things will be different.
CH: 人事处昨天才通知的他,所以我们还没有机会谈起这件事。
A: That's one of the first things you need to do and soon.
CH: 急什么呀,他现在肯定特别忙。
A: Everyone knows that you and Brad are close friends. They are going to be watching to see what happens.
CH: 别说别人了,连我都不知道要怎么处理这种关系。
A: It could go two entirely 2 different ways.
CH: 两种完全不一样的可能?哪两种?
A: Because you are his best friend, he might be tempted 3 to give you special treatment by offering you the best assignments and according you unusual favors.
CH: 如果因为私人关系好,他就在工作上照顾我,那其他人肯定会有意见。
A: Yes. It would affect the way everyone views Brad. He could lose the respect of everyone who works with him.
C: 另外一种可能性呢?
A: I don't have time to talk about that right now, Chen Hao. Shall we meet for tea this afternoon and continue our conversation?
C: 好,那我们下午见。
Mary和Chen Hao两人下午一起喝茶。
CH: Amy, 我们上午说,如果Brad特别关照我,那对我们两人都不利。你说的另外一种可能是什么?
A: He might go out of his way to avoid any hint of giving you special treatment and treat you more rigidly 4 than the others.
C: 你的意思是,他为了避嫌,可能对我的要求会格外严格?
A: He might pass you over for assignments that you might otherwise have gotten.
CH: 这听起来可不太妙。那下班以后呢?我们以前总是一起去打乒乓球,或是一起去喝酒。
A: I know that and I have heard you share some funny stories about each other. You'll have to be more careful about the tales you tell about your adventures.
CH: 不能再跟同事讲Brad的故事?为什么?
A: Others might misunderstand and think that you are trying to impress them with the fact that you and the boss are best friends.
CH: 要把工作和私人关系分开,还真不简单。你觉得我有必要换到别的部门去吗?
A: That's a possibility if things don't work out. If you can't accept Brad as your boss or he can't make the leap to being your supervisor 5, a change might be the only solution.
CH: 我想我们两人一定能做到公私分开。
- The teacher conferred with the principal about Dick's promotion.教师与校长商谈了迪克的升级问题。
- The clerk was given a promotion and an increase in salary.那个职员升了级,加了薪。
- The fire was entirely caused by their neglect of duty. 那场火灾完全是由于他们失职而引起的。
- His life was entirely given up to the educational work. 他的一生统统献给了教育工作。
- I was sorely tempted to complain, but I didn't. 我极想发牢骚,但还是没开口。
- I was tempted by the dessert menu. 甜食菜单馋得我垂涎欲滴。
- Life today is rigidly compartmentalized into work and leisure. 当今的生活被严格划分为工作和休闲两部分。
- The curriculum is rigidly prescribed from an early age. 自儿童时起即已开始有严格的课程设置。
- Between you and me I think that new supervisor is a twit.我们私下说,我认为新来的主管人是一个傻瓜。
- He said I was too flighty to be a good supervisor.他说我太轻浮不能成为一名好的管理员。