时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:商务礼节美语


英语课

  Unspoken Messages

不言而喻的消息

陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他跟美国同事Amy一起走出会议室。

(Office ambience)

C:Amy, 今天我第一次主持会议。你觉得怎么样?

A:I thought you did well considering that you have not been in that position before.

C:可我自己觉得挺糟糕的。虽然来开会的人并没说什么,但是我能感觉到,有好几个人并不欣赏我的报告,或者是根本不感兴趣。

A:What made you think that? Anyone in particular?

C:比如说吧,会开到一半的时候,Ken 1把笔记本一合,双手抱臂,往椅子上一仰。

A:How did you feel when he did that?

C:我立刻很紧张,觉得他认为我的发言很糟糕。

A:I noticed that, too. In fact it was pretty obvious to everyone.

C:你觉得他是故意这样做的吗?

A:Knowing Ken, I would say yes and I would add that he wanted to make sure you got the message.

C:如果他对我有什么意见,我宁可他告诉我。

A:What he did was use his body to send his message. It's a discourteous 2 tactic 3 that many people use in business to express their feelings without putting them in words.

C:你是说在商业界很多人都会用这种方式表达自己的看法,而不是直接把意见说出来,那又是为什么呢?

A:Sometimes people feel safer using body language to intimidate 4 or humiliate 5 others.

C:他们为什么会觉得用肢体语言去羞辱别人更安全呢?

A:I am sorry, Chen Hao. Can we continue this later? I need to meet my boss in five minutes.

C:那你先忙。我们一会儿见。

当天下午陈豪和Amy一起喝咖啡。

C:Amy, 你上午说有人更愿意用肢体语言表达自己的看法。这是为什么呢?

A:People can always refute or deny the meaning of their body language.

C:噢,如果有人事后指责他们表现消极,他们可以矢口否认,说这是误会。那所有人都是有意这样做的吗?

A:A lot of people aren't even aware of their body language. I think that it is often unintentional.

C:很多人都是无意的?你能举个例子吗?

A:Like Sue. Did you notice that she came to our meeting for the first time today?

C:我注意到了,Sue是第一次来参加会议,但是她坐在后面的角落里,从头到尾一言不发。

A:I think she felt left out.

C:你为什么说Sue觉得自己被忽视了呢?

A:Because the two people closest to her kept moving their chairs with their backs turned more and more to her. I don't think it was intentional—they were just trying to see and hear better.

C:Sue 一定是误会了,觉得别人不欢迎她。

A:That's right. So she withdrew as well.



n.视野,知识领域
  • Such things are beyond my ken.我可不懂这些事。
  • Abstract words are beyond the ken of children.抽象的言辞超出小孩所理解的范围.
adj.不恭的,不敬的
  • I was offended by his discourteous reply.他无礼的回答使我很生气。
  • It was discourteous of you to arrive late.你迟到了,真没礼貌。
n.战略,策略;adj.战术的,有策略的
  • Reducing prices is a common sales tactic.降价是常用的销售策略。
  • She had often used the tactic of threatening to resign.她惯用以辞职相威胁的手法。
vt.恐吓,威胁
  • You think you can intimidate people into doing what you want?你以为你可以威胁别人做任何事?
  • The first strike capacity is intended mainly to intimidate adversary.第一次攻击的武力主要是用来吓阻敌方的。
v.使羞辱,使丢脸[同]disgrace
  • What right had they to bully and humiliate people like this?凭什么把人欺侮到这个地步呢?
  • They pay me empty compliments which only humiliate me.他们虚情假意地恭维我,这只能使我感到羞辱。