实战口语情景对话 第108期:第一份工作 First Job
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:实战口语情景对话
英语课
Todd: OK, Roe 1, why don't we talk about your first job. 罗伊,我们问什么不谈谈你的第一份职业呢。
Roe: OK 好的。
Todd: Yeah, tell us about your first job. 跟我们谈谈你的第一份工作。
Roe: You mean my official full-time 2 first job, talking about! 你是指谈谈我的第一份正式的全职工作!
Todd: Yeah, sure. How about that? 是的,没错。你的第一份工作怎么样?
Roe: OK. That was right after graduating university. I became a salesman. 好的。那时我刚从大学毕业。我成为了一名销售人员。
Todd: Oooh, salesman! Nice. 唔,销售!很棒。
Roe: Yep, salesman. 是的,一名销售。
Todd: What were you selling? 你销售的产品是什么?
Roe: I was selling nothing. 我什么都不卖。
Todd: Nothing 什么都不卖?
Roe: Nothing. Well, basically I was selling a membership. So, that's, it's not something people can see or visualize 3, but it's like just membership, so. 什么都不卖。实际上,我销售的是一种身份。它不是人们能够看到的实体产品,而是一种会员身份。
Todd: Was it like a membership to a country club? 就像乡村俱乐部的会员身份一样?
Roe: Yeah, actually a private resorts and golf clubs. 是的,实际上那是一家私人度假村和高尔夫俱乐部。
Todd: Nice. Was this in Japan or in the US? 真棒,那是在日本还是在美国?
Roe: In Japan. 在日本。
Todd: Wow. What was the best thing about your job? 哇。这份工作最好的地方在于?
Roe: Troubles! Cause I have to knock on people's houses. 麻烦!因为我得去挨家挨户地去敲门。
Todd: Oh, wow, it was door to door. 哇,挨家挨户啊。
Roe: Exactly without any appointments and membership costs 5 million yen 4. Starting, starting costs. 是的,没有任何预约的敲门访问,而且会员费要500万日元。而这只是入会费。
Todd: 5 million yen to start and you must have been in very rich neighborhoods. 500万日元的入会费,那你肯定要去很高档的社区了。
Roe: No, actually we just go to any areas. We just stop off at a station and we start from there. 不,实际上我们是什么社区都要去。随便一站下车后就开展工作了。
Todd: Really. Were you successful? 真的吗,那你的工作进展顺利吗?
Roe: It's a long story but to be honest with you, how many memberships do you think I sold in a year? 说来话长,但坦白讲,你认为我一年能够介绍多少会员入会?
Todd: Wow, I don't know. I will take a guess. In one year, maybe one, two a week, so my guess is, I don't know, a hundred. 哇,我不知道。我试着猜测一下。一年内也许有……一周有1,2名,所以我猜……我不知道,一百名?
Roe: One! 一名!
Todd: One! One! 一名!
Roe: Can you believe it! 你能相信吗!
Todd: So you must, so you remember the lucky person? Probably still remember that person. 那你肯定对你唯一的客户印象很深刻了?也许至今还记得他。
Roe: And you know what, the person who bought my membership, is who? My father. 你知道吗,是谁通过我的介绍入会?我的父亲。
Todd: Ooh, that's a tough job. 哦,这项工作真的很艰巨。
Roe: It was rough, really. It was really rough. 真的很艰苦,真的。很艰苦。
Todd: That's a lot of rejection 5, every day. No, no, no 每天都会被很多人拒绝,总是听到人说no,no,no。
Roe: I know, I mean if you think about it, that's natural though, I mean 5 million yen. and I can't really show the place, cause I can't take the person to the place. all I can do is show the picture and speak and that was right after the bubble economy bursted, so nobody had really, nobody had money, so. 我知道,我是说如果你仔细想想,这就是很自然的事,500万日元啊。而且我无法展示俱乐部场所,因为我不能带客户过去参观。我能做的只是展示图片并且介绍,而且那正是在产生经济泡沫之后,所以没有人真的想入会,也没有人有这个闲钱。
Todd: Wow, man so were you depressed 6? Were you sad? 哇,兄弟,那你沮丧吗?难过吗?
Roe: It was very interesting. It was hard to motivate myself. The people would call the police, and call me like a robber Yeah, yeah, cause I had to like open the gate and run to the door and stick my leg so that they won't shut the door. 很有趣。这份工作很难激励我的斗志。人们会报警称我是强盗,所以我只能打开院门,小跑到房门前用腿顶住门缝,以防他们关上屋门。
Todd: Seriously. 你是认真的?
Roe: Yeah, that's how you do it. Door to door sells. 是的,是你也会这么做。这就是挨家挨户的销售。
Todd: Wow, that's, that's a tough job. I don't think I could do a job, what's your job now? What do you do now? 哇,真是一项艰苦的工作。我不认为我能胜任这份工作,你现在在做什么?从事什么职业?
Roe: I am, I work for Yokohama city and I am in a place called Yokohama Convention Bureau. It's a city job. 我在横滨市横滨会议局工作。这是一份市政工作。
Todd: OK, so the Yokohama Convention Bureau. OK, so you deal with foreigners, naturally cause it's in English. 好的,横滨会议局。那么你主要和外国人打交道,自然是说英语了。
Roe: And travellers and visitors and what have you. 还有旅客和游客
Todd: Do you like your job now? 你热爱你现在的工作吗?
Roe: Interesting! Like I said I meet talk to about over 2,000 people a day, so it's kind of tiring though. 很有趣!如我所说的,我每天能和2000多人打交道,因此也是一份很辛苦的工作。
Todd: Wow, 2,000 people a day. 哇,一天接触2000多人。
Roe: About 200 people an hour. My office is at the station. Yokohama station. Right out of the gate of the JR, so people are going to stop by. 大概一小时有200人。我的办公室就在横滨站。就在日本铁路公司对面,所以经常有人顺便去看看我。
Todd: You, that's a lot of talking. You must be tired of talking. 我们谈了很多,你一定很累了吧。
Roe: I am tired. 是的,很累。
stop off 中途停留
n.鱼卵;獐鹿
- We will serve smoked cod's roe at the dinner.宴会上我们将上一道熏鳕鱼子。
- I'll scramble some eggs with roe?我用鱼籽炒几个鸡蛋好吗?
adj.满工作日的或工作周的,全时间的
- A full-time job may be too much for her.全天工作她恐怕吃不消。
- I don't know how she copes with looking after her family and doing a full-time job.既要照顾家庭又要全天工作,我不知道她是如何对付的。
vt.使看得见,使具体化,想象,设想
- I remember meeting the man before but I can't visualize him.我记得以前见过那个人,但他的样子我想不起来了。
- She couldn't visualize flying through space.她无法想像在太空中飞行的景象。
n. 日元;热望
- He wanted to convert his dollars into Japanese yen.他想将美元换成日币。
- He has a yen to be alone in a boat.他渴望独自呆在一条船上。
n.拒绝,被拒,抛弃,被弃
- He decided not to approach her for fear of rejection.他因怕遭拒绝决定不再去找她。
- The rejection plunged her into the dark depths of despair.遭到拒绝使她陷入了绝望的深渊。
标签:
口语