职场英文口语 第42期:加班(1)
时间:2019-01-14 作者:英语课 分类:职场英文口语
英语课
It's late at the offices of Tip Top Trading.
来到Tip Top Trading的办公室已经很晚了。
Anna is alone, working. Again.
安娜又在一个人加班了。
She's been doing this all week, she wants her presentation to Mr Lime 1 to be perfect so she's been spending hours and hours on it. Anna?
她一整周都在准备着,她希望给 Lime先生做的报告尽善尽美,所以她花了无数的时间为此工作着。安娜?
Don't interrupt! I'm busy. Sorry.
别打扰我!我忙着呢。对不起。
Anna, you're really burning the candle at both ends. What?
安娜,你真是劳累过度。 什么?
Burning the candle at both ends – it means working very hard – working late and getting up early to work all the time.
一根蜡烛两头烧的意思是劳累过度,总是工作得很晚而且起得很早。
I didn't know that expression.
我不知道这个表达。
Well here are some more: You're doing overtime 2; which means you're working longer than office hours.
还有一些表达:“You're doing overtime”意思是你超出了工作时间。
You're putting in the hours; which means you are spending all the time needed to achieve something.
“You're putting in the hours”意思是你花了很多时间完成工作。
Yes, I'm putting in the hours to make sure my presentation is perfect.
是的,我花了很多时间为了让我的报告尽善尽美。
And if you don't mind me saying so, you might burn out; which means you are working so hard that you might get very tired and run out of energy.
如果你不介意我这么说的话,你非得累死不可,意思是你工作太努力了,很可能变得十分疲惫无力。
I'm not burning out. I'm full of energy.
我不会累死的。我全身干劲。
I just need to finish this bit...
我只需要完成这点……
My goodness 3, nothing's locked.
上帝,都没上锁。
n.石灰,酸橙,酸橙树,粘鸟胶,钙;vt.施石灰,涂上粘性物质,沾上粘鸟胶
- Lime exists in many soils.许多土壤中都含有石灰。
- A broad avenue of lime trees led up to a grand entrance with huge oak doors.一条栽有酸橙树的宽阔林阴道通向巨大的橡木门的雄伟入口。
adj.超时的,加班的;adv.加班地
- They are working overtime to finish the work.为了完成任务他们正在加班加点地工作。
- He was paid for the overtime he worked.他领到了加班费。
标签:
职场英文