TED演讲:用"云"建立一所学校(5)
时间:2018-12-02 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
When they saw me, they said, "We want a faster processor and a better mouse." 当他们看到我时,他们说:“我们想要更快一点的处理器和更好一点的鼠标。”
So I said, "How on Earth do you know all this?" 我说:“你们到底是怎么知道全部这些的?”
And they said something very interesting to me. 然后他们告诉了我一些非常有意思的事情。
In an irritated 1 voice, they said, "You've given us a machine that works 2 only in English, so we had to teach ourselves English in order to use it." 他们带着生气的口吻说:“你给了我们一台只能用英语动起来的电脑,所以我们只能自己教自己英文才能用得了。”
I've...That's the first time, as a teacher, that I had heard the word "teach ourselves" said so casually 3. 那是我作为教师,头一次听人如此随意地说“教自己”。
Here's a short glimpse 4 from those years. 来回顾一下那几年。
That's the first day at the Hole in the Wall. On your right is an eight-year-old. To his left is his student. She's six. 那是有了墙洞的第一天。你们右边方向的孩子8岁。他左边的是他的学生,六岁。
And he's teaching 5 her how to browse 6. 他正在教她怎么浏览页面。
Then onto other parts of the country, I repeated this over and over again, getting exactly the same results that we were. 跟着在这个国家的其他地方,我一再地重复这个实验,得到的结果都是相同的。
An eight-year-old telling his elder sister what to do. 一个八岁的孩子在教他的姐姐如何操作。
And finally a girl explaining in Marathi what it is, and said, "There's a processor inside." 最后一个女孩用马拉地语解释这是什么,她说:“里面有个处理器。”
So I started publishing. I published everywhere. 于是我开始了宣传。我四处宣传。
I wrote down and measured everything, and I said, in nine months, a group of children left alone with a computer in any language will reach the same standard as an office secretary in the West. 我记录并评估每件事。我说,在九个月的时间里,一群孩子与一台设置成任何语言的计算机单独在一起,将会达到同西方办公室秘书一样的操作水准。
I'd seen it happen over and over and over again. 我看到这样的事一再重演。
1 irritated
a.恼怒的
- His little affectations irritated her. 他的装腔作势令她不快。
- Her genteel accent irritated me. 她那矫揉造作的腔调使我感到难受。
2 works
n.作品,著作;工厂,活动部件,机件
- We expect writers to produce more and better works.我们期望作家们写出更多更好的作品。
- The novel is regarded as one of the classic works.这篇小说被公认为是最优秀的作品之一。
3 casually
adv.漠不关心地,无动于衷地,不负责任地
- She remarked casually that she was changing her job.她当时漫不经心地说要换工作。
- I casually mentioned that I might be interested in working abroad.我不经意地提到我可能会对出国工作感兴趣。
4 glimpse
vt.瞥见;n.一瞥,一看
- One glimpse at himself in the mirror was enough.让他照着镜子看自己一眼就够了。
- She catches a glimpse of a car in the distance.她一眼就瞥见了远处的汽车。
标签:
TED演讲