TED演讲:单一故事的危险性(4)
时间:2018-12-02 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
I must say that before I went to the U.S., I didn't consciously identify as African. 我不得不强调,在我前往美国之前,我从来没有有意识地把自己当作个非洲人。
But in the U.S., whenever Africa came up, people turned to me. 但在美国的时候,每当人们提到“非洲”时,大家都回转向我,
Never mind that I knew nothing about places like Namibia. 虽然说我对纳米比亚之类的地方一无所知。
But I did come to embrace 1 this new identity 2, and in many ways I think of myself now as African. 但我渐渐的开始接受这个新的身份。现在很多时候我都是把自己当作一个非洲人来看待。
Although I still get quite irritable 3 when Africa is referred to as a country, 不过当人们把非洲当作一个国家来讨论的时候,我还是觉得挺反感的。
the most recent example being my otherwise wonderful flight from Lagos two days ago, 最近的一次例子就发生在两天前,我从拉各斯搭乘航班,旅程原本相当愉快,
in which there was an announcement on the Virgin 4 flight about the charity work in "India, Africa and other countries." 直到广播里开始介绍在“印度、非洲以及其他国家”所进行的慈善事业。
So, after I had spent some years in the U.S. as an African, I began to understand my roommate's response to me. 当我以一名非洲人的身份在美国度过几年之后,我开始理解我那位室友当时对我的反应。
If I had not grown up in Nigeria, and if all I knew about Africa were from popular images, 如果我不是在尼日利亚长大,如果我对非洲的一切认识都来自于大众流行的影像,
I too would think that Africa was a place of beautiful landscapes, beautiful animals, and incomprehensible people, 我相信我眼中的非洲也同样是充满了美丽的地貌、美丽的动物、以及一群难以理解的人们,
fighting senseless wars, dying 5 of poverty and AIDS, unable to speak for themselves and waiting to be saved by a kind, white foreigner. 进行着毫无意义的战争、死于艾滋和贫穷、无法为自己辩护,并且等待着一位慈悲的、白种的外国人的救赎。
I would see Africans in the same way that I, as a child, had seen Fide's family. 我看待非洲的方式将会和我儿时看待Fide一家的方式是一样的。
This single story of Africa ultimately 6 comes, I think, from Western literature. 我认为,关于非洲的这个单一故事从根本上来自于西方的文学。
Now, here is a quote from the writing of a London merchant called John Lok, 这是来自伦敦商人John Locke的一段话。
who sailed to west Africa in 1561 and kept a fascinating account of his voyage. 他在1561年的时候曾游历非洲西部,并且为他的航行做了番很有趣的记录。
After referring to the black Africans as "beasts who have no houses," he writes, 他先是把黑色的非洲人称为“没有房子的野兽”,随后又写到:
"They are also people without heads, having their mouth and eyes in their breasts." “他们也是一群无头脑的人,他们的嘴和眼睛都长在了他们的胸口上。”
1 embrace
vt.拥抱;包括;包围,环绕;n.拥抱,怀抱
- He held her to him in a warm embrace.他热列地拥抱她。
- The hills embrace the village.山丘环绕着村庄。
2 identity
n.身份,本体,特征;同一(性),一致
- He never revealed his identity.他从未暴露过自己的身份。
- He showed his identity card and went in.他把工作证亮了一下就进去了。
3 irritable
adj.急躁的;过敏的;易怒的
- He gets irritable when he's got toothache.他牙一疼就很容易发脾气。
- Our teacher is an irritable old lady.She gets angry easily.我们的老师是位脾气急躁的老太太。她很容易生气。
4 virgin
n.处女,未婚女子;adj.未经使用的;未经开发的
- Have you ever been to a virgin forest?你去过原始森林吗?
- There are vast expanses of virgin land in the remote regions.在边远地区有大片大片未开垦的土地。
5 dying
adj.垂死的,临终的
- He was put in charge of the group by the dying leader.他被临终的领导人任命为集团负责人。
- She was shown into a small room,where there was a dying man.她被领进了一间小屋子,那里有一个垂死的人。
6 ultimately
adv.最后地,最终地,首要地,基本地
- It was a demeaning and ultimately frustrating experience.那是一次有失颜面并且令人沮丧至极的经历。
- Vitamin C deficiency can ultimately lead to scurvy.缺乏维生素C最终能道致坏血病。
标签:
TED演讲