TED演讲:科技并没有改变爱 为什么?(8)
时间:2019-01-03 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲科技篇
英语课
Along with this, we see a rise of a host of beliefs: 不仅如此,各种信仰开始传播:
the belief of virginity at marriage, arranged marriages -- strictly 1 arranged marriages 坚信婚前必须保持处女身,包办婚姻(严格安排的婚姻),
the belief that the man is the head of the household, that the wife's place is in the home and most important, 坚信男性是一家之主,女性就应该待在家里,更重要的一点,
honor thy husband, and 'til death do us part. These are gone. 女性一生一世必须尊夫,所有这些都是过去式了。
They are going, and in many places, they are gone. 有些地方仍有这些现象,但大部分地区,这些现象都不复存在了。
We are right now in a marriage revolution. 我们正处于一场婚姻变革之中。
We are shedding 10,000 years of our farming tradition and moving forward towards egalitarian relationships between the sexes 我们摒弃了1万年前的农业传统,朝着两性平等的方向发展,
something I regard as highly compatible with the ancient human spirit. 我认为这和远古人类的精神相契合。
I'm not a Pollyanna; there's a great deal to cry about. 我不是一个盲目乐观的人,还有很多事情值得担忧。
I've studied divorce in 80 cultures, I've studied, as I say, adultery in many -- there's a whole pile of problems. 我研究了80种文化里的离婚行为,出轨行为,还有许许多多的问题。
As William Butler Yeats, the poet, once said, "Love is the crooked 2 thing." I would add, "Nobody gets out alive." 正如诗人威廉·巴特勒·叶芝所说,“爱情是个狡猾的家伙”。我会再加一句,“没人能活着出来”。
We all have problems. But in fact, I think the poet Randall Jarrell really sums it up best. 每个人都有困扰。但我认为诗人兰德尔·贾雷尔总结的最好。
He said, "The dark, uneasy world of family life -- where the greatest can fail, and the humblest succeed." 他说:“在枯燥繁琐的家庭生活中,强者不显其智,弱者反而取胜。”
But I will leave you with this: love and attachment 3 will prevail, technology cannot change it. 但我想说的是:爱和相互依赖会战胜一切,科技无法改变这一点。
And I will conclude by saying any understanding of human relationships must take into account one the most powerful determinants of human behavior: 总结下来,便是任何对人类关系的诠释,必须考虑到人类行为最强大的决定因素:
the unquenchable, adaptable 4 and primordial 5 human drive to love. Thank you. 是那难以抑制的、极具适应性的、最原始的爱的动力。谢谢。
adv.严厉地,严格地;严密地
- His doctor is dieting him strictly.他的医生严格规定他的饮食。
- The guests were seated strictly in order of precedence.客人严格按照地位高低就座。
adj.弯曲的;不诚实的,狡猾的,不正当的
- He crooked a finger to tell us to go over to him.他弯了弯手指,示意我们到他那儿去。
- You have to drive slowly on these crooked country roads.在这些弯弯曲曲的乡间小路上你得慢慢开车。
n.附属物,附件;依恋;依附
- She has a great attachment to her sister.她十分依恋她的姐姐。
- She's on attachment to the Ministry of Defense.她现在隶属于国防部。
adj.能适应的,适应性强的,可改编的
- He is an adaptable man and will soon learn the new work.他是个适应性很强的人,很快就将学会这种工作。
- The soil is adaptable to the growth of peanuts.这土壤适宜于花生的生长。
adj.原始的;最初的
- It is the primordial force that propels us forward.它是推动我们前进的原始动力。
- The Neanderthal Man is one of our primordial ancestors.的尼安德特人是我们的原始祖先之一.
标签:
TED演讲